Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my ex got into a better school - ughh  (Read 3114 times)

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: my ex got into a better school - ughh
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 07:47:17 PM »
I talked to my ex today.  He was offered his dream job, but he's turning it down for a $50,000 job that will keep him in the South close to his family and new girlfriend.

I bet him three months ago that he couldn't possibly be offered $50,000 with his degree just coming from undergrad.  As I haven't been accepted into a top 25 school, I just sat there with my mouth hanging open.  Uggh. 

Crap, I forgot to mention that I qualify for MENSA!  Ah well, facebook ammunition.  ;D

Congrats on the MENSA but did anybody see the Apprentice last night. Trump PWN3D MENSA last night. That guy representing MENSA is doing a horrible job.

Also, do not worry because you will find somebody after law school and perhaps even better.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 08:24:39 PM »
I am in the same situation.  He is in at a top 10 schools.  WTF!?!?!?!  I was embarassed to tell him I didn't get in to that school.  I hate rankings. and law school competition in all its forms. ::)
There's no homework in Law School

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »
I talked to my ex today.  He was offered his dream job, but he's turning it down for a $50,000 job that will keep him in the South close to his family and new girlfriend.

I bet him three months ago that he couldn't possibly be offered $50,000 with his degree just coming from undergrad.  As I haven't been accepted into a top 25 school, I just sat there with my mouth hanging open.  Uggh. 

Crap, I forgot to mention that I qualify for MENSA!  Ah well, facebook ammunition.  ;D

Congrats on the MENSA but did anybody see the Apprentice last night. Trump PWN3D MENSA last night. That guy representing MENSA is doing a horrible job.

Also, do not worry because you will find somebody after law school and perhaps even better.

While I am not a fan of Tarek (can't stand when ppl don't listen to their teammates), I think he had a valid point--often on the Apprentice, it's the people who step up who get fired.  Which is better: having a bad idea, or no idea at all?

I am officially a law school graduate : )

SantiV

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »
This is the greatest thread ever.  While my g/f didn't do anything beyond her undergrad, there are many people who aggravate me for their success.  However, as far as I know I'm the only one attending LS out of my entire high school class.  Says something for me, since I barely graduated top 50% in my HS becuase I partied like hell.  Has anyone rubbed their acceptances into anyone's face, or do they plan to?  Any tips?  Geez, I feel like a prick for doing so, but that's what everyone gets for doubting me.

inthesun

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 10:50:41 AM »

MENSA is something interesting to add to your l-school resume.  LSAT scores qualify as intelligence tests, so if you get a score that meets the MENSA standard, all you have to do is submit it to Mensa.  163 is the threshold.

http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Join/SubmitTestScores/QualifyingTestScores/QualifyingScores.htm

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »

MENSA is something interesting to add to your l-school resume.  LSAT scores qualify as intelligence tests, so if you get a score that meets the MENSA standard, all you have to do is submit it to Mensa.  163 is the threshold.

http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Join/SubmitTestScores/QualifyingTestScores/QualifyingScores.htm

Who knew? A ton of us can be members and we didn't even know!  For $53/year... and a one-time $30 processing fee... shoulda bought it before the apps, when it might have mattered.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »

OMGosh, he's the worst! And a note about Mensa...I joined after I got my score, because I figured it would be a nice looking EC on my res. However, it is my opinion that tests such as the LSAT should not be used for admission. They're too trainable. Measure of IQ should be about your level of reflexive logic, not familiarity with similair questions / games.

I haven't seen any of the full length IQ tests that Mensa accepts, but I suspect (albeit to a smaller extent), that you could make yourself better if you took those over and over too. I have a friend who took one particular test like 5 times (diff questions each time, but similair problem types), and he scored progressively higher. I don't know...

I don't consider myself the top two percent of the population in terms of reasoning ability or mental quickness (isn't that what IQ is), but here I am...in Mensa. I think it just sounds alot more impressive than it actually is. I will say that some folks in there really seem to me that they are in the top two percent.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 11:52:39 AM »
Ehh..I think law schools are well aware that applicants who score well on their LSATs are Mensa material. Almost all Top-20 school applicants qualify. It goes without saying. I'm a member of Mensa (got in based on my GMAT score). Yeah, it's attracted attention to my resume when I applied for jobs. But if you put it on a resume for LS, I think you will be evaluated based on your level of activity in it (it's an EC activity). Did you go to meetings/activities with all those senior citizens?
The University of Chicago
The Law School

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 11:54:35 AM »
Hm, damn my 162.

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »
Ehh..I think law schools are well aware that applicants who score well on their LSATs are Mensa material. Almost all Top-20 school applicants qualify. It goes without saying. I'm a member of Mensa (got in based on my GMAT score). Yeah, it's attracted attention to my resume when I applied for jobs. But if you put it on a resume for LS, I think you will be evaluated based on your level of activity in it (it's an EC activity). Did you go to meetings/activities with all those senior citizens?

It really helps for job interviews?  I would have thought people would just think one was arrogant for even joining the organization.

It's not always arrogance / ego that motivates someone to join. There are people, like myself, who are actually interested in participating in some of the community assistance projects Mensa members organize; and they offer some fun activities. Is it arrogant to join NHS when you're in high school?