Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For the older students...  (Read 13737 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: For the older students...
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »
All these young just graduated, no life experiance, KIDS are making me dread going to LS. It was one of the major reasons I decided not to apply until now.
I know that I am only 28 but I am married, have worked for 6 years already, and don't really care about which bar we are going to hit after class and whose bed I will wake up in tommorow morning.
I just want to get in, work hard, rank high, and get out as quickly as possible. There is to much going on to care about the rest.

There are definitely people at every school that have this mindset.  We're hard to find, however, since we usually go home and spend time with our significant others! :)

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »
at 46, i'm knocking at death's door, so of course my hearing is starting to go.

so i'll just let my mind wander while i scope them out. or else, i'll just substitute what i wish they were saying in my mind and respond to that instead.

Rev your that old, lol.  Thought you were in your 30's, ohh well.  Im the old guy in my classes too, only 25 but I look 30.  Yeah the kids are annoying.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
There are definitely people at every school that have this mindset.  We're hard to find, however, since we usually go home and spend time with our significant others! :)
[/quote]

Yeah and my wife is very much looking forward to supporting me for three years while I lock myself in a library and try to become the next nominee for the supreme court.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2006, 02:14:28 AM »
I just started posting on LSD but this is the best thread by far. 

I'm 28 and like a lot of other people on this thread, already have one graduate degree already.  I'm currently on a year-long fellowship at the UN- and am the oldest person on this fellowship yet the youngest person in my particular department.  I feel really stuck in the middle- too old to hang with the fresh out of college crowd till 4am yet too young to be taken seriously by the staff geritocracy.

I've been wondering what it will be like in law school- starting over one more time (again) probably.

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52:13 AM »
I'm a bit of a tweener at 27 (I'll turn 28 in Oct.). Old enough to fit in with the more non-trads, but young enough to hang with the straight-out-of-school kids. And I actually do fit that mold. Half the time, I'll be sitting with you, complaining about the stupid kids, but the other half of the time, I'll be the one you're complaining about.

I can do, and enjoy doing, the all-night bar thing sometimes, and while I don't watch the OC, I reluctantly admit that I still watch soaps fairly regularly, and I'm a guy (cut me some slack, though... my work schedule has been nights for years, so it just kinda works out!). On the flip side, it's been five years since I've even gone on a date with a woman under 30, so I obviously can mesh well there, too.

I think the best way to go about LS is to look for the best in everybody and focus on that, rather than letting yourself get annoyed.

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 03:27:29 PM »
I think, without having previously articulated it, that I have a rough 15-yr range in both directions that I consider my "peer group." I'm 34-going-on-35, and I am perfectly comfortable viewing a 20-yr-old as a peer, and likewise the 50-yr-old. The age is FAR less important to me than the maturity and the intelligence.

In other words, I'm not bothered by the idea of being around a bunch of 23-yr-olds, any more than I'm bothered by the idea of being around a bunch of 45-yr-olds. It's only the immature and unintelligent ones that will bother me -- and I know plenty of those on both ends of the age spectrum.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »
Ugh, I had someone like that in my LSAT prep course.

Note to self:  When I get to law school, keep my yap shut in class.

hahah Split - that you did!

i consider myself more nontrad...I'll be 27 in October and I've been working full time since i was 20 and have been working since i was just about 16.  Never had the "college" experience, always been a commuter who worked, etc.  i'm definitely old before my time but I am ok with that  :D
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 11:53:22 AM »
Try to play Beer Pong (aka Beiruit) at least once during your first year. 
I had never heard of it either.  The opportunity will almost certainly arise.  It's fun, and it's a good way to show your classmates you don't have a stick up your ass.

phooey

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »
I had never heard of it either.  The opportunity will almost certainly arise.  It's fun, and it's a good way to show your classmates you don't have a stick up your ass.

I'll play it.  And I will win!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 01:52:27 PM »

What if you do have a stick up there?  Any suggestions for hiding it?  I wear long skirts much of the time to hide the tell-tale handle to mine.