Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For the older students...  (Read 13678 times)

joespecial

Re: For the older students...
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
I was never getting laid more than when I was 22 or so.  WTF?  Can't they just hook up with each other and stop talking about it?

Thank you !!! WTF are sexual subjects doing on a law school discussion board anyway? These people need to get out of the house. (I mean, so do I, but it's not because I can't get laid.)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 01:21:44 PM »
In my experience it's the older students who are most irritating in class.  When I was getting oracle certified I had an unbearably pompous fortysomething who felt the need to regale us all with his stories from the trenches during class, in spite of the fact that they had little value in terms of clarifying lessons.   He would actually interrupt the teacher to waste time this way.  I had similar problems in grad school - folks who were inclined to be dismissive of class content, during class, because they didn't see the value of it based on their own experience.

Ugh, I had someone like that in my LSAT prep course.

Note to self:  When I get to law school, keep my yap shut in class.
Emory '09

LSN

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »
my only fear is that i will be forced to open my yap.  "as an aa, what/how do you feel about....?"  i hope my, "no comment" will fly.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

phooey

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 01:40:08 PM »
I agree..I'm usually irritated by people who display the character flaws I know I have too.
I'll have to try hard to not be a gunner in LS.

The people who annoy me most in class and on this board are the hard-asses; the super-opinionated "my way or the highway" types.  When I was younger, I thought it was cool to be like that, and I definitely see it a lot in the younger posters, but I see it in some of the older ones too. However, I do think that older posters/students are more inclined to have a more inclusive persective on things, or at least be willing to try.  A younger student might be more likely to mistake being an unyielding jackass with being strong or self-confident.

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
I think I've found a home on this message thread.  I went to an admitted student even this weekend and was irritated with how many times the other kids asked about where the bars were in each neighborhood we visited on the tour and how much of their conversation revolved around either 1) getting drunk and partying, 2) getting drunker and partying, 3) how much money their daddy was spending on the house/condo he just bought them for LS, etc.  I felt very old and am glad to know I'm not the only one.

joespecial

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 07:47:49 PM »
The people who annoy me most in class and on this board are the hard-asses; the super-opinionated "my way or the highway" types.  When I was younger, I thought it was cool to be like that, and I definitely see it a lot in the younger posters, but I see it in some of the older ones too.

Yeah, one of my pet peeves is people, whatever their age, who think they know everything. Of course, it is more unlikely that a younger person knows everything than an older person, but there are plenty of the latter who have spent their entire lives learning absolutely nothing and are just as stupid at 42 as they were at 22.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 09:19:59 AM »
The people who annoy me most in class and on this board are the hard-asses; the super-opinionated "my way or the highway" types.

Hmmm...my way IS the Highway (see my name).

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 09:38:38 AM »
HippieLawChick, when I think of the pros and cons of UofW. You go right into the Pros column. Your posts are either incredibly right or downright hilarious and sometimes both. You hit the nail squarely on the head, I love how so many of these kids on here talk about Harvard v. Columbia w a full ride v. NYU. Not one word about career goals, but rather what free tshirts or mouse pads they got in the mail and in what sort of envelope their Yale deferral came in. And yes, I'm one of the old ones. And by that, I mean over 30. Maybe we'll be seeing each other in Wisconsin.

This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me here.  I hope we do see each other at Wisconsin.  We can share denture cream!  :)

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »
All these young just graduated, no life experiance, KIDS are making me dread going to LS. It was one of the major reasons I decided not to apply until now.
I know that I am only 28 but I am married, have worked for 6 years already, and don't really care about which bar we are going to hit after class and whose bed I will wake up in tommorow morning.
I just want to get in, work hard, rank high, and get out as quickly as possible. There is to much going on to care about the rest.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

1Laspirant

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 10:55:10 AM »
Exactly. Exactly.

I just want to get in, work hard, rank high, and get out as quickly as possible. There is to much going on to care about the rest.
Innie: TTU, NCCU, Ole Miss (so very happy), FCU, Valpo, Elon, Campbell
Outie: WFU, LSU, Mont
No Navel (freaks): UNC, IU-I
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
Numbers