Law School Discussion

KURDS TO THE RESCUE: as mediators and US ally...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: KURDS as mediators and US ally...
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 11:28:26 PM »
Tuesday, April 4, 2006 ·

Turkish Kurds see Iraq as an inspiration

By SELCAN HACAOGLU
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey -- For Ramazan, an elderly Kurdish businessman, the recent battles between masked Kurdish youths and Turkish police have rekindled a dream - the creation of an autonomous zone for his people in Turkey, much like the one carved out of Iraq. But that dream is Turkey's worst nightmare.
While Kurds look to northern Iraq for inspiration, Turks see it as an example of what the future could bring: a collapsed central state and a brewing ethnic civil war.
Iran and Syria also are concerned that Kurds in Iraq's oil-rich north could set up an independent state if the Iraqi central government collapses - serving as a rallying call for their own restless Kurdish minorities and destabilize the entire region.
Iran's ambassador to Turkey, Firouz Dowlatabadi, warned in an interview published Tuesday that Turkey, Iran and Syria need a joint policy on the Kurdish issue or "the U.S. will carve pieces from us for a Kurdish state."
But international politics was of little concern to Ramazan when he headed out into the streets as soon as he heard Kurdish protesters were confronting Turkish police.
The protests started late last month in Diyarbakir, the largest city in southeastern Turkey, the predominantly Kurdish region devastated by more than a decade of warfare between autonomy seeking Kurdish guerrillas and the army.
At least 15 people were killed and hundreds were injured and detained as the rioting spread, with mass demonstrations throughout the southeast and smaller protests in Istanbul.
"I did not throw any stone, I did not enter the clashes. I am old, you know," said Ramazan, who refused to give his last name or details about his life for fear the police could track him down. "But I went out to support the Kurdish revolution. I had to be there since I am a Kurd."
"I am a Kurd, we want our language, our rights," Ramazan said.
Turkey refuses to recognize Kurds as a minority, and speaking Kurdish was illegal until 1991. At the prodding of the European Union, Turkey recently has granted some cultural rights to Kurds such as limited broadcasts on television, but many say it is too little, too late.
Turks fear that increasing cultural rights could lead to the breakup of the country along ethnic lines. Stoking that fear is a U.S.-supported Kurdish region in northern Iraq, complete with its own government and militia.
Kurds - brutally repressed under Saddam Hussein before the autonomous zone was created after the Gulf War in 1991 - have played a key role in the new Iraqi government and are prepared to stay in a federal Iraq. But many Kurds say their real aspiration is independence.
Turkish businessmen already are flocking to the area as the Kurdish economy in northern Iraq grows. Some Turkish Kurds living on the border regions are sending their children to universities in the area.
That is coming as Turkey's economic program to build up the southeast is faltering. The government has done little to improve ruined roads or the dilapidated health care system, and blackouts are common.
Fighting between government and rebel forces - which has left 37,000 dead since 1984 - largely ended after the 1999 capture of guerrilla leader Abdullah Ocalan but began to flare up again after the guerrillas declared an end to their unilateral cease-fire in 2004.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged not to give in to the rioters.
"No one should dare to test the power of the state or the nation," Erdogan said Tuesday in an address to his party. "The government will not step back from expanding democracy, laws and freedom of expression."
Many Kurds have pinned their hopes on Turkey's push to join the EU, which repeatedly has said Ankara's treatment of the Kurds will be a key determining factor in its decision on whether to accept the country. But that process could take at least a decade and frustrations among Kurds are growing.
Unemployment is extremely high in the region, which helps increase support for Kurdish guerrillas based in northern Iraq. Ankara says the guerrillas also have been able to acquire sophisticated plastic explosives in Iraq for bombings in Turkey.
"No doubt, the region is affected by winds of change from northern Iraq," former Kurdish lawmaker Hasim Hasimi said.
For Ramazan, the fate of the Kurdish dream lies with Washington and the EU.
"Give us a federal status like in Iraq, that's enough," he said. "I hope, it will happen this time."

Fidelio

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 11:34:18 PM »

v;pdr yord fprd mpy s ,r,nrt ,slr/

:D

Well I think it may even be beyond close ties.  Our ally Turkey knows these groups very well, they've been combating them for ages.  They insist that they are a branch of the PKK. 

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »
believe it or not...there are move"ment"s which actually have been watching this for years...

many people take my "iambic chimes" for amusement on this board...and it is great...aye laugh most of the time...

but...

the kurds...as you know...are no joke...

northern iraq is a valuable piece of property...and rightfully so...that the kurds run the show there and are not oppressed anymore is precious to these people...

funny...some of my turkish friends think aye resemble some kurdish folk...how ironic. ;)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:07 PM »

v;pdr yord fprd mpy s ,r,nrt ,slr/

:D

Well I think it may even be beyond close ties.  Our ally Turkey knows these groups very well, they've been combating them for ages.  They insist that they are a branch of the PKK. 

turkey has been watching the kurdish success as well...how many bases did the turks allow the usa to set up in their country?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 12:10:29 AM »
Saddam to stand trial for genocide against the Kurds

05 April 2006
Saddam Hussein will face charges of genocide and crimes against humanity, the tribunal trying him announced in Baghdad yesterday.

The accusations against the former president of Iraq concern atrocities committed during Operation Anfal, a military campaign against the Kurdish population which, according to human rights groups, led to 100,000 deaths.

During the offensive - led by Saddam's cousin Ali Hassan al-Majeed, nicknamed "Chemical Ali" - 5,000 men, women and children were gassed at Halabja in 1988. However, the investigative judge Raid Juhi said that Saddam and six fellow defendants will face a separate prosecution over the Halabja attack once the court has dealt with the charges relating to Anfal.

"We declare the investigations are completed in the case, called the Anfal campaign, in which thousands of women, children and men were killed," said Mr Juhi, adding: "The villages were destroyed and burnt [and] homes of worshippers and buildings of civilians were levelled without reason or a military requirement."

Saddam's fellow defendants on the genocide charges are al-Majeed, the former defence minister Sultan Hashim Ahmad, the former intelligence chief Saber Abdul Aziz al-Douri, the former Republican Guard commander Hussein al-Tikriti, fellow commander Farhan Mutlaq al-Jubouri and the former Ninevah provincial governor Taher Tafwiq al-Ani.

Saddam and seven other former officials of his regime have been on trial since 19 October charged in connection with the deaths of 140 people at the Shia town of Dujail. Kurdish leaders have expressed concern that Saddam could be executed if he is convicted of the Dujail charges before the charges in relation to the Kurds come to trial.

Iraq's President, Jalal Talabani, who is Kurdish, said yesterday that the court was considering delaying sentencing until all of them have been heard.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »
NEWS 24.com

1 000 bodies found in Iraq
06/04/2006 13:51  - (SA)   

Kirkuk - Eight mass graves containing around 1 000 bodies have been found near Iraq's northern oil hub of Kirkuk, the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) announced on Thursday.
"Most of the victims were Kurds, as well as some Christians and Turcoman, who lived in these two majority Kurdish villages," the PUK said in a statement.
Also included among the victims were Shi'ites killed during the 1991 repression of an uprising by former dictator Saddam Hussein, it said.
The graves were found in the villages of Al-Asri and Tubazawa, west of Kirkuk.
Numerous mass graves of Kurds in the north and Shi'ites in the south have been discovered since the fall of Saddam's regime in 2003. United States officials believe there could be at least 300 000 bodies buried across Iraq.
On Tuesday, a local religious organisation said two mass graves dating from the time of Saddam had been found near the southern city of Nasiriyah.
The court trying Saddam over the killing of Shi'ites in the 1980s announced on Tuesday that he would face genocide charges over the Anfal campaign against Kurds that left around 180 000 people dead.
Similar charges are also being laid against six co-defendants including Ali Hassan al-Majid, also known as Chemical Ali.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
here is an interesting link...things to come???
http://www.regnum.ru/english/616672.html

Yuri Nabiyev: Prospects of Kurdish Statehood

The first Russian to set his foot in Kurdistan in the 40s of XIX was the professor of St. Petersburg University Wilhelm Dittel, who said that while being Russia’s immediate and quite important neighbor, that country was still a real terra incognita. Though much time has passed since then, this remark is still true. Kurdistan is an unknown country; the Kurds are an unknown nation; Kurdish cause is an unknown cause – a problem mostly known as existing and threatening the world stability. But if in the times of Dittel and, partly, in XX, the knowledge of the Kurds was mostly of academic nature and its lack was no obstacle to the real policy making, today the Kurds and the Kurdish cause are coming into the foreground in the Middle East, and this is becoming politically intolerant.

That’s why, in order to give you a clear picture of how the Kurdish cause and the Kurdish national movement developed, I will have to detail the key historical facts that few in Russia, unfortunately, know. As you may know, XIX was a century of nationalism; by XX this concept had reached the East to replace the local traditional ideologies. Meanwhile, for the reasons I’d rather avoid dwelling on here, the Kurds came to this point with a society that was far from the standards of those times. They had a mostly tribal social structure, almost no urban class or no high society. Politically, Kurdistan was divided between the retrograde Turkish and Iranian empires (who later proved ability to upgrade).

In presenting the Kurdish nationalism, I’d rather omit its background, i.e. the XIX movements to create a Kurdish state, i.e. the attempts to gain independence from Turkey by Emir Bedir Xan Bey (1840s), and his nephew Yazdanshir (1855) or, finally, the campaign of Sheik Obeidullah against Iran (1880), which was almost the first time the Kurds openly spoke about creating their own state.

(excerpt)

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »
turks be happy to take it back.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 03:16:53 PM »
you are getting my word out...thanks.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
yes, now everyone know that kurds = turds.