Law School Discussion

Ever got an F???

->Soon

• View Profile
Ever got an F???
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »
I titally failed Calc, but I dont really need it.

Wondering if I should bother to retake it or not....

Re: Ever got an F???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:36:30 PM »
When LSAC calculates your GPA it will count the F as well as whatever grade you may get if you retake it (i.e. if you retake it again and get a C-, they'll calculate your GPA with the C- as well as an F).  Do you think you can do well if you retake the class (i.e. B or better)?  If not, I don't see any point in further damaging your GPA. 

If you feel the need to retake it, perhaps you can do it over the summer at a junior college where it would be easier. 

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:43:05 PM »
I once got an F in a physical education class that I forgot to drop. I made the mistake of thinking the teacher would drop me.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:38:39 PM »
Not applying to law school til next yr, so i have plenty of time.

and I dont really need the class.

just bugs me that it beat me    >:(

George JeffersonČ

• Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:40:30 PM »
When LSAC calculates your GPA it will count the F as well as whatever grade you may get if you retake it (i.e. if you retake it again and get a C-, they'll calculate your GPA with the C- as well as an F).  Do you think you can do well if you retake the class (i.e. B or better)?  If not, I don't see any point in further damaging your GPA. 

If you feel the need to retake it, perhaps you can do it over the summer at a junior college where it would be easier. 

This is not always true. Depending on the school, the F may disappear altogether.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:45:34 PM »
I think GJ is right- at my school we had an Fx policy where you could overwrite one or two F's by retaking the same class and the F wouldn't show up on your transcript.

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:47:57 PM »
i got an F in the 2nd grade when i cheated on a spelling test :)

calc is pretty much the most failed class on my campus. are your apps already done?

i think ochem is the most failed class at my university

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:26:38 PM »
I think GJ is right- at my school we had an Fx policy where you could overwrite one or two F's by retaking the same class and the F wouldn't show up on your transcript.
At my school they had "freshman forgiveness," so if you failed a class freshman year you could retake it and ONLY the new grade would count towards your GPA when calculated by the university.  BUT, both were on your transprict and both would be visable by the ad comms and calculated into the GPA by LSAC, so retaking wouldn't really make a difference.  I guess it depends on your school...

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:13:10 PM »
I am really bad in math, I was failing a class 1st sem so I with drew, and I took it again 2nd sem with the same teacher(pride) and I failed...............I am now a soph, do u think its possible to get into a good law school w an f on ur transcripit?

George JeffersonČ

• Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 09:17:59 PM »
I am really bad in math, I was failing a class 1st sem so I with drew, and I took it again 2nd sem with the same teacher(pride) and I failed...............I am now a soph, do u think its possible to get into a good law school w an f on ur transcripit?

Your early problems can be forgiven if you get and maintain a high GPA for the rest of your college career.