Law School Discussion

Ole Miss Admitted Students Day --March 31-- (Official Thread)

Redsparow1

• hmm...somethings missing....
    • View Profile
    • The numbers
Re: Ole Miss Admitted Students Day --March 31-- (Official Thread)
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 09:13:14 AM »
Well if there was a reading assignment...I didn't do it.  So if the assignment (assuming it actually exists) was intended to be a good warmup for the academic year...it has suceeded.

I'm joking of course....right....

Redsparow1

• View Profile
    • The numbers
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 09:51:54 AM »
Seriously though, are most of you guys staying the night tonight? Or are you driving up tomorrow morning? Really looking forward to seeing you all.

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 10:40:32 AM »
Seriously though, are most of you guys staying the night tonight? Or are you driving up tomorrow morning? Really looking forward to seeing you all.

Im driving to my parents house tonight (They live about 45 mins away from Oxford) and then just driving up there Friday morning.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »
Y'all put in some good words for me. If you want to name drop to the admissions staff, just PM me haha... kidding.

Have fun in Oxford y'all. I'm going to make my decision tonight. I'd love to go there, but I just can't prolong this decision much further. Seeing as how USC and Ole Miss evened up in the rankings, don't think I'll be making a bad choice either way.

But Hotty Toddy nonetheless...

Redsparow1

• View Profile
    • The numbers
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »
Did anybody's thoughts on the school change after visiting? Also did anyone look at apartments? Did anybody find any apartments worth mentioning? For all the talk I heard about how low the cost of housing is in Oxford I didn't find that to be the case. While housing was not outrageous, it wasn't all that cheap either. I have heard the cost of living in Oxford sneaks up on you, taxes are high and so are groceries and gas. It is a nice town and everyone was real nice, but I don't really understand the craze to move up there that seems to exist.  Just curious about yall's input. Thanks.

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 11:33:45 AM »
Did anybody's thoughts on the school change after visiting? Also did anyone look at apartments? Did anybody find any apartments worth mentioning? For all the talk I heard about how low the cost of housing is in Oxford I didn't find that to be the case. While housing was not outrageous, it wasn't all that cheap either. I have heard the cost of living in Oxford sneaks up on you, taxes are high and so are groceries and gas. It is a nice town and everyone was real nice, but I don't really understand the craze to move up there that seems to exist.  Just curious about yall's input. Thanks.

Housing in Oxford is cheap compared to living in many other cities and town in the south.  It is not particularly cheap compared to the rest of Mississippi (and especially not compared to Starkville).  You can find a nice one bedroom apartment or duplex for about 400-500/month, and a two bedroom for about 600.  If you are looking to buy, there are new condos going up everwhere, to buy brand new would be just over 100k, if you want something a bit older (but still built or remodeled in the last few years) you can find nice places between 80-90k.  Taxes aren't particularly bad, and groceries are the same price here as everywhere else.  Gas is the same price in Oxford as everywhere else in the area, and maybe a few cents a gallon more expensive than a few places in Jackson or Memphis.  The quality of living in Oxford is great, everything is close by, traffic consisits of a few cars on the square, and there are loads of restuarants/bars/art galleries/stuff to do in general for such a small town.

If you have any questions about living in Oxford or apartments around the school, let me know.

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »
**My review**

After all the negative talk about it, the Law building wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.  Everyone I talked to seemed very friendly.  There were more out of state students than I expected.  The Panels ranged from interesting (Employment, Mock Class, Housing) to bad (Financial Aid - Does anyone about to enter graduate school really not know how to fill out a FAFSA or budget money for housing and food?)

The campus was nice but traffic and parking look pretty bad.  Definitely looking into buying a bicycle and getting an apartment close to campus.

Food was so-so, but the VIP almuni club overlooking the football stadium was sweeeeet  :D

I didn't meet as many LSD'ers as I would have liked, but I did meet Kirsten and she was very nice  ;) 

As far as housing goes, the rents were cheaper than I expected. 

I thought the housing prices in Oxford were quite reasonable.  $400-500 for a 1BR APT close to campus is not bad at all, and is actually comparable to Starkville pricing if you can believe that :P I imagine if you don't mind a 15-20 minute commute to campus, you could find much cheaper rental property outside of the Oxford city limits.  To the best of my knowledge, taxes/groceries aren't any more  expensive  than in any other part of the state.

Horsley54

• Ole Miss Bound
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Horsley54
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
Whose looking into a roommate next year and whose living alone?  Still debating that myself.  I was at the Admitted students day, but showed up a little late, after driving from Birmingham morning of, then spent every break and lunch working rather than actually talking to anyone.  I however met a few first years out at the bars Friday night, and everyone seemed very friendly.  Should have worn big LSD signs into the Moot Court room lol.

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »
Im pretty sure I am living alone.  I am a very introverted person anyway, and I definitely don't want to have to deal with any roommate drama during 1L.

Redsparow1

• View Profile
    • The numbers
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
Yeah I think I plan on living alone that first year too.  I guess if the cost of living gets to be too much for me I will find a roommate.  I figure by the end of the first year I will have found someone that I can stand to live with. It is always a gamble, but I would rather take that gamble with someone I already know. So does anyone have a particular complex they think they are going to pursue?