Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who is still waiting on Michigan ?  (Read 742 times)

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who is still waiting on Michigan ?
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
I've been complete for a month now and I've yet to hear from them. I know they've been mass mailing rejection letters for the past week and a half but I see only 3 people accepted on LSN since the 28th of Feb. Any clues as to what's going on over there ?

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who is still waiting on Michigan ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:23:14 PM »
I have no idea what is going on with Michigan, but I do know that I have been complete since the end of January.  Unfotunately, I have heard nothing since.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »
I got the thin envelope on Friday, the same day as my waitlist notice from UVa.  I could barely bring myself to open it, so I saved it until last, and even then set it aside and stared at it for a few minutes.  Finally resigned to the idea that my only options were the ones I already have, I opened what turned out to be a complete notice.  I'm going crazy.

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »
When they dropped the massive waitlist bomb way back in early March they said it was the "first round" of waitlists... and explained that they had WLed so many people that "likely would have been admitted in previous years" because they really wanted to ctrl class size this year (they over-enrolled by 40+ last year).  You can look at the waitlist section of the admissions home page if you're curious. 
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/Admissions/wait.htm

I was a pretty late applicant (end of Dec.) and ended up on said list-- I think Mich. really did give a huge bump to earlier applicants this year, but I'm guessing that like anywhere, stellar applicants who apply closer to the deadline still have a chance at admission.  However... I'd say that most people still waiting are likely going to be waitlisted at best. 
i like complicated :)

Antrustion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 04:07:22 PM »
I am still waiting.

dw05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
I got a "still under review" e-mail in mid-feb., but I'm still waiting on a final decision and have been complete since 12/20.   :(
I'm going to Harvard!

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:22:09 PM »
complete late January.  Still waiting
to William and Mary I go...gladly.

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:49:34 PM »
People who've gone complete the same time I did are already waitlisted or rejected. Right now, I'm telling myself that no news is good news.

By the way, how large is their waitlist?

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
People who've gone complete the same time I did are already waitlisted or rejected. Right now, I'm telling myself that no news is good news.

By the way, how large is their waitlist?

tough to tell-- over 100 on LSN, but I'm not sure how many have withdrawn.   it's a very wide-reaching list, numbers-wise (but this isn't surprising for Mich, as they preach and seem to practice a more holistic admissions strategy), so i'd bet that many of the people with other attractive choices (of which there are many) will probably not be waiting around. 

also, they don't release numbers, nor do they rank the list... but they do claim that it is "small"... how helpful ;)
i like complicated :)

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
Movement on the list will probably gain momentum in the next week or two when many schools start mailing financial aid awards.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve