;

Poll

UT or ND to practice in Chicago.....???

UT
 19 (36.5%)
ND
 33 (63.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Help? UT or ND??  (Read 2022 times)

jml2148

• View Profile
Help? UT or ND??
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
OK so I have to decide between University of Texas- Austin and Notre Dame...I definitely want to end up in Chicago and I feel as though Notre Dame has a bigger network here. I suppose my only question is whether or not a Texas degree would look better than a ND degree. ND is only an hour away from home, and I love their London Program but Texas is ranked so much higher, just not sure if those rankings matter in the chicago job pool. At this point I'm looking into Big- medium sized law firms. Oh and Texas is giving me in-state tuition, and ND is giving me $10,000 a year. so Texas would be a bit cheaper as well. I'm visiting texas this weekend and ND April 7th. I'm hoping to fall in love with one of them. BUT I would love any input from all you  guys who are agonizing over these decisions as well.  :P sorry for the scattered post, of course Im at work as I do this.  ;D

beccabv

• View Profile
Re: Help? UT or ND??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:27 PM »
UT has a reputation that will get you a job anywhere.  They have a lot of out-of-state firms that come to recruit.  I'd ask them specifically if a lot of Chicago firms recruit there.  I know a lot of New York, Washington, and Boston ones do.

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »
Notre Dame for Chicago without a doubt.
God, Country, Notre Dame

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:26:17 PM »
Notre Dame for Chicago without a doubt.

i dont know about the whole "without a doubt" part of your post.

how many firms from chicago recruit at UT (i dont know the answer, but i bet there is a good number of them)?  how many students at UT want to go to chicago?  to be hoenst, chicago would be one of the last places i would want to practice law.  if other students at texas feel this way, you may face less competition for jobs with the chicago firms OCI if you went to UT.

just another perspective, take it or leave it.

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
The "without a doubt' is the common sense of thousands of alumni and connections based on generations of Notre Dame lawyers living and working in Chicago.  This is not to slight UT but it is the obvious answer to the OP's question.  Simple really.
God, Country, Notre Dame

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:27:59 PM »
admittedly, i'm biased, since i'm going to be at nd next fall, but i think anywhere outside of texas, nd is at least as good as ut.  for chicago, i dont think it's really close.
texas isn't ranked "so much higher", it's 7 spots in usnwr.
also check out this article to see how sall the difference is:  http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1126256708738

however, the football at texas is better at the moment.

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:36:12 AM »
Yet, Notre Dame's quarterback will still be there next year...

Tulip82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 11:34:42 PM »
jml2148, I think I met you at admit day at ND. What did you decide? I chose UT, but I put down deposits on botha nd am still waffling.
Sprouting horns... UT '09

Mpowered

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:29:53 AM »
If you definately want to be in Chicago, id go to ND. If your grades aren't so hot at UT, it would be tough to find a decent job in Chicago. with ND, you have local connections, and smaller/medium firms are more willing to hire an average local grad than an average UT student.
DUKE '09

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:06:40 PM »
ND all the way.