Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L 3/25 Party (I mean... admit days)  (Read 761 times)

ljl3y

• View Profile
W&L 3/25 Party (I mean... admit days)
« on: March 27, 2006, 10:31:59 AM »
Hey all!  Who was there?  I miss you all already.  Anyone have throughts to share on how they feel about W&L now?
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy

squatty

• View Profile
Re: W&L 3/25 Party (I mean... admit days)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »
I guess I'll start this off.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The students I met seemed happy and, more importantly, very genuine and honest.  I never really felt that they were trying to sell me; just trying to inform me.  My main concern coming in was the town, and they did a pretty good job of pointing out the pluses and minuses of the town, and I think I could go to school there for three years.  Anyone else? 

Slainte06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:03:58 PM »
I was also pleasantly surprised.  I was also concerned about the small town but the school and students seem to do a good job of making the best of it.  The students and professors I met were really great and the atmosphere really seemed collegial and community based.  I could definitely see myself being happy there for 3 years.  While the classrooms and library are pretty nice, the rest of the building seemed a little dark and gloomy.
No more Boston winters!

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »
Sounds like y'all had a good time.  Any suggestions for those of us heading down there 4/1?  Were it not for logistical issues, I probably would've visited last weekend.  Good to hear positive feedback from what's looking like my best choice.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

squatty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
If its anything like this weekend, come ready to party and socialize, if that's your thing.

ljl3y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »
Yes, it was one big party.  And I loved it. AND I loved all of the admits too. Butttt....  I have to say I'm feeling a little morning-after-ish now. I so do not want to spend 3 years drinking.  (OTOH, it WAS the weekend, not a tuesday, and the school is really solid, the kids are smart and really do seem to work hard.)

I also wish I had met even one older student, or someone w/ a family, so I could tell what that would be like.  I'm sure the kids would ADORE Lexington, but I didn't get a chance to confirm that (or really talk with anyone over 25).

Ohman, I was 98% certain I was a W&L girl al the way, but now I'm doubting.  Anyone else?
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »
Yes, it was one big party.  And I loved it. AND I loved all of the admits too. Butttt....  I have to say I'm feeling a little morning-after-ish now. I so do not want to spend 3 years drinking.  (OTOH, it WAS the weekend, not a tuesday, and the school is really solid, the kids are smart and really do seem to work hard.)

I also wish I had met even one older student, or someone w/ a family, so I could tell what that would be like.  I'm sure the kids would ADORE Lexington, but I didn't get a chance to confirm that (or really talk with anyone over 25).

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 26 and married; I still like to party though (as does my wife), although not as often as I used to.  Sounds a lot like the work hard, play hard mentality that was prevalent at UVA where I went UG.  Should be interesting . . .
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 07:09:46 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised as well when I visited.  I thought Lexington was pretty and I could see myself living in the mountains there.  Yet, i really didn't feel the same way that I did when I left Notre Dame.  I think I could be happy at W & L for three years, but my gut instinct is Notre Dame.

I will say that all of the students seemed really friendly and I think I would really enjoy W & L, but I'm from Charlottesville and I don't want to be that close unless I'm going to Virginia.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm glad you all had fun.  Let me say that after going through one of these as a prospective and now three as a student, things tend to get a bit unhinged during admitted student weekends.  Something about a bunch of new people and school-sponsored parties brings people out of the woodwork.  We do have a lot of fun, but every weekend is certainly not like that. 

ljl3y, try contacting the school and see if they can put you in touch with someone in your shoes.  That's all I can suggest, as there certainly are people in similar situations here.   

ljl3y

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »
Thanks, Lenny.  I'll do that.

I heard from many many students that Lexington was a great place for a family, and I can believe it would be so fun for my boys.  But I'm feeling like I'm making the hard sell on the homefront here, and I don't want to drag my men away from NYC and have them be miserable in the mountains while I party with my new friends, that's not what I'm looking for.

Aaaahhh this is so hard!  I've given myself till Thursday to decide.  I'll see what Fordham is like tomorrow.

Anyone else?

I wish I could take all the admits I met last weekend (and also the W&L student body) with me to whichever school I pick!  You guys all really are rockstars.
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!