Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Inter-Racial Marriages/Relationships, thoughts/opinions/concerns?  (Read 12843 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Inter-Racial Marriages/Relationships, thoughts/opinions/concerns?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »
I don't see wanting to protect racial purity as a desirable goal - for anyone of any race.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

bluesmoke

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 12:44:27 AM »
DBGirl: The black race was forcibly diluted by white slavemasters who raped their female slaves.  Nothing similar has happened to White Americans.  Most White Americans are all (or nearly all) Caucasian.  There are few completely African members of our race left in this country.  The two situations are completely different.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 12:47:55 AM »
I don't see wanting to protect racial purity as a desirable goal - for anyone of any race.

You didn't directly answer my question.  I asked about culture.  Is it okay for our culture to be diluted into nothingness?  I presume that since, to some extent the duration of Af-Am culture is dependent on the existence of an Af-Am racial identity, you are fine with the elimination of Black culture.  Is this a fair presumption?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 12:54:34 AM »
I don't see black culture being eliminated by race mixing.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

faith2005

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 01:11:50 AM »
http://www.lovingday.org/index.html

here's a website about interracial couples. we did loving v. virginia today and someone in my section sent it to me. enjoy!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 01:16:25 AM »
Thanks Faith,
I'll make sure to do a little race-mixing on Loving Day.  ;)

-TMcGraw

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 01:34:37 AM »
http://www.lovingday.org/index.html

here's a website about interracial couples. we did loving v. virginia today and someone in my section sent it to me. enjoy!

LMAO. One world.

TopGunna

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not easy being TTT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 07:39:36 AM »
I think it's a little off to say that it's the same for Black people to want Black kids as a White person wanting "purity."  There is a power differential there that is important to note.

That probably sounds like liberal-talk.  Look at it this way.  When I was in Ireland I took a class on Language and Power.  It was bizarre because one minute they were criticizing Americans who want an English-only policy; the next minute they were suggesting that the signs in Ireland (particularly Gaeltecht regions) should all be changed to Irish language, which is essentially an Irish-only policy.  I pointed out the hypocrisy in their position and they put it this way - If Irish people don't speak Irish, no one else will.  It's a question of cosmopolitanism versus survival.  It's a similar situation here.  If we don't perpetuate the Black race (particularly the "middle-class" or "educated" Black race), no one else will.  If all of the educated/upwardly mobile Black men marry outside and the educated Black women either marry out or don't get married, our racial "purity" suffers.  On the other hand, White people don't need to worry about survival.

Well said.
WAITING IS A female dog!  3 weeks :(

redemption

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 08:16:56 AM »
I think it's a little off to say that it's the same for Black people to want Black kids as a White person wanting "purity."  There is a power differential there that is important to note.

That probably sounds like liberal-talk.  Look at it this way.  When I was in Ireland I took a class on Language and Power.  It was bizarre because one minute they were criticizing Americans who want an English-only policy; the next minute they were suggesting that the signs in Ireland (particularly Gaeltecht regions) should all be changed to Irish language, which is essentially an Irish-only policy.  I pointed out the hypocrisy in their position and they put it this way - If Irish people don't speak Irish, no one else will.  It's a question of cosmopolitanism versus survival.  It's a similar situation here.  If we don't perpetuate the Black race (particularly the "middle-class" or "educated" Black race), no one else will.  If all of the educated/upwardly mobile Black men marry outside and the educated Black women either marry out or don't get married, our racial "purity" suffers.  On the other hand, White people don't need to worry about survival.

:D :D :D

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 08:56:04 AM »
Interesting so far. My case is a lot different that most of the black folks here. I was born and raised in Nigeria came to the United States at 16. So my outlook/orientation towards race  relations in this country is derived from studies & televisions. I don't have an issue with two black people saying that they want black children, I have friends that dates  people from different race but will not marry outside their race. Before getting married their were some reservations concerning marrying outside my race, I kept wondering what my family will say. A couple of them expressed their disappointment in my marrying outside our race and uptil this day some still asks me when I'm I going to get married like I'm just playing right now or what. When I decided to get married, my main concern was "I'm gonna have a great life with this woman?", five years and counting and I'm happier each day and more convinced that I made the right decision. I hope she thinks so too.
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)