Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When was your, 'Rankings mean nothing to me' moment?  (Read 7975 times)

amyt123

• my cute pet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When was your, 'Rankings mean nothing to me' moment?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »
When I met someone who goes to harvard law and realized that although his mind his brilliant, his common sense is questionable.  He's an odd duck.  I thought he might be an anomolay, but then, lo, a guy I worked with told me he got accepted at harvard law and he, too, was just a bit off.  Very nice guy but not the type I would ever date.  and lets be honest, as a female going to law school, I look intently at the male population of my to-be classmates.  :)

John Galt

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 12:50:20 AM »
When I met someone who goes to harvard law and realized that although his mind his brilliant, his common sense is questionable.  He's an odd duck.  I thought he might be an anomolay, but then, lo, a guy I worked with told me he got accepted at harvard law and he, too, was just a bit off.  Very nice guy but not the type I would ever date.  and lets be honest, as a female going to law school, I look intently at the male population of my to-be classmates.  :)

Just the sort of logic that prevents one from attending HLS in the first place.

John Galt

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 08:25:34 AM »
hahahaha, good point.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »
The rankings mean male private part to me -- always have, and always will.  I am going to the highest ranked school that would have me, but I didn't choose it because of the ranking.  In fact, I withdrew from Columbia and Penn's waitlists before getting decisions once I realized that Michigan was the best fit for me.  And if Northwestern had seemed like the better fit I would have happily gone there.  I don't believe that the additional benefits I would have realized from attending a school a few points higher would have made a significant difference for me.  I do believe that the differences between the opportunities I'll have coming from one of those schools are significantly greater than what I'd have had coming from Cardozo or Brooklyn.

When I was weighing my options, I considered what I want out of my life, personally and professionally.  I examined the stats.  I read the books.  I talked to my friends who've already gone down this road and are practicing attorneys (some from the tippy-top schools, some from T4s, many in-between.)  I spent many hours talking to the two law professors I became close with in grad school and the law professor I met as part of this whole process.  I logged a lot of time with the attorneys at work. 

This was tough for me (and I don't mean in a poor me sense; I was lucky as hell to have this difficult decision to make) because the whole reason I've put off law school until now is fear of additional debt.  I already owe a metric assload from undergrad and grad school, and just couldn't stomach adding to the burden.  So it's been a process to get to this point, where I can walk away from a full ride at a perfectly respectable school to choose another school with a hefty price tag.  This is why I become infuriated when people suggest that I'm a rankings whore; I've literally spent years of my life preparing for this step and have considered every facet of the equation. 

I think it's very wise when people tune out some of the noise from all the rankings chatter and focus on their own aspirations, finances, families, etc.  I think it often makes good sense to turn down a higher ranked school in favor of a better fit, whether that's based on location, economic factors, academic interests, what have you.  I think it's disingenuous when people argue that their opportunities will be the same out of a T4 and a T1, but the reality is that every student doesn't need every opportunity.  If someone knows that he's going to become a public defender, then biglaw hiring stats are irrelevant. 

Okay, </mini-rant>   ;D
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »
When my law professors who went to Yale and Harvard ended up being mindless twits, and my torts professor who went to a third tier retired from her job as partner in a torts firm with a $10million bonus at age 36. I think the Yale professor is making $80k a year though. Big Deal!

budlaw

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
When my law professors who went to Yale and Harvard ended up being mindless twits, and my torts professor who went to a third tier retired from her job as partner in a torts firm with a $10million bonus at age 36. I think the Yale professor is making $80k a year though. Big Deal!

Ah, yes.  Brilliant reasoning there.

This coming from the guy with almost 14 posts a day?

budlaw

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »

Relevance?

Not much. I just think from your past posts that you're a pretensious prick. I'd like to see how you came up with your "Brilliant reasoning" proclomation. Dazzle me with your brilliance.

John Galt

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »

Relevance?

Not much. I just think from your past posts that you're a pretensious prick. I'd like to see how you came up with your "Brilliant reasoning" proclomation. Dazzle me with your brilliance.

Whoa, Whoa....you do agree that "X who went to BC retired with 10 million and Y who went to Harvard makes 80k" is a pretty silly reason for individual Z to suggest that BC > H. There are plenty of people who don't care about rankings and are secure in their position, but it is also pretty transparent that some of the people in this thread are really bitter.

Plus, Halfies my dude.

budlaw

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 06:34:06 PM »

Relevance?

Whoa, Whoa....you do agree that "X who went to BC retired with 10 million and Y who went to Harvard makes 80k" is a pretty silly reason for individual Z to suggest that BC > H. There are plenty of people who don't care about rankings and are secure in their position, but it is also pretty transparent that some of the people in this thread are really bitter.

Plus, Halfies my dude.

Agreed. But it still doesn't change the fact that he comes off like a jerk either.

I'll see you guys on the big-boy board in the fall and then we'll see how much everyone thinks that rankings really matter all that much.

John Galt

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 06:41:15 PM »

Relevance?

Plus, Halfies my dude.

Agreed. But it still doesn't change the fact that he comes off like a jerk either.

I'll see you guys on the big-boy board in the fall and then we'll see how much everyone thinks that rankings really matter all that much.

What is the big boy board?