Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When was your, 'Rankings mean nothing to me' moment?  (Read 7982 times)

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
When was your, 'Rankings mean nothing to me' moment?
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »
Mine was when I realized that there are only a few national schools in the country, and those students there will have no problem finding a job anywhere in the country. My litmus test in determining if a law school is national is if I ask any joe schmo on the street what the best law schools in the country were. I think the only schools that would pass are HYS, and of course Princeton Law right ;). I would be willing to bet that though ucla has a great rep, only those outside the western half of the US know it has a law school. at best if I pulled someone off the sidewalk anywhere else, if asked if ucla had a law school the reaction would be, "maybe, most likely...their basketball team is doing good though."

After I realized this, agonizing over whether baylor or lmu were up or down seemed silly. those schools don't have the name cache outside of their regions. So, because I am not blessed with the best choices in law schools, rankings don't mean much to me at this point and things like fit and fututre job prospects pay a much bigger role.
USD Law grad

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: When was your, 'Rankings mean nothing to me' moment?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »
if i were you- i would choose USD.  I am from Texas and I recognize USD as a quality school over the other acceptances you are holding

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »
A lot of people in NY that know nothing about law school would guess Fordham is better than a place like UMich. A lot of people just think of those "University of ______" schools as just state schools that accept a lot of in-state students.

Like when you tell someone with little knowledge about colleges that U Penn is an Ivy League school.

guyminuslife

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:28:53 AM »
The entire purpose of picking out a law school being future job prospects, rankings minutiae are largely irrelevant. On the other hand, Joe Schmoe isn't a law firm, he's Joe Schmoe because he doesn't know anything about law schools.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 09:48:26 AM »
The entire purpose of picking out a law school being future job prospects, rankings minutiae are largely irrelevant. On the other hand, Joe Schmoe isn't a law firm, he's Joe Schmoe because he doesn't know anything about law schools.

credited
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

spanishpolice

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh well, there'll always be the Steelers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »

credited

Mr. Schmoe promised me a job when I graduate from Princeton Law.
Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, your case is just what I need to rebuild my shattered practice. Care to join me in a belt of Scotch?
Marge: It's nine o'clock in the morning.
Hutz: Yeah, but I haven't slept in days.

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »
Mine was when I got my LSAT score back.  ;)

KSpW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »
Mine was when I didnt get into T14 LS...Speaking in LSAT terms, letter of acceptance from a top school is not SUFFICIENT factor to succeed in your future career but just a nice bonus.

jiggedyjared

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »
Hiring firms aren't the same as Joe Schmo.  I want to agree with you (as I'm not in at T14), but if you look at OCI's or Job Placement rates for different schools it changes my mind. 

Bettn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
My moment - When I got off the waitlist at IU Bloomington and still decided to go to Denver because being in Colorado is a priority to me.

Denver's a great school. I considered going there, especially after I went for an informational and a tour. The building is gorgeous! I'm headed to CU, but I chose them because they're cheaper.

My moment for not caring about rankings was when I almost turned down CU for a 3rd tier because I fell in love with the town it's in. Then I realised that, to some extent, rankings must matter. If they didn't, why would they be out there. So I guess you could say that I stopped caring about rankings, and then started caring again. :D