Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity in Virginia  (Read 603 times)

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
Diversity in Virginia
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:26:53 AM »
Ok, so this is an unusual topic for me. Racial diversity isn't something I've paid much attention to because I'm not a URM and I've never personally had any concerns along those lines. I grew up in a very diverse community (probably among the most diverse in the nation) and haven't really seen much in the way of discrimination.

I'm leaning towards UVA and am trying to convince a good friend of mine who is graduating this spring to look at teaching jobs in Virginia. Tonight while we were talking she brought up the issue of how people would treat her there as a Jamaican (black) woman. Would she move into a neighborhood and parents wouldn't let their kids play with her kids (when she has them)? Or, would she find it difficult to get jobs or if it would be safe for her to drive alone at night?

I know VA is part of the South, but this is the 21st century. I know racism still exists, but is it prevalent in Virginia? There will be idiots in any community and probably a few more in the South than other regions. Are we talking a sizeable minority? Would she really face major issues of discrimination that affected how the community treated her, her ability to get a job/promotions, or her safety?

She isn't so concerned with the percentage of the population that is a racial minority. The more important question is how minorities in Virginia are treated overall. Any feedback from people with knowledge or experience in this regard would be appreciated. Oh, and I should add that the areas of interest would be places such as Rockingham County not just Charlottesville. Thanks!

(It probably goes without saying that this issues gives me pause to think. I don't much like the idea of moving someplace where my friends would not be accepted.)
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

AceJackSuited

• View Profile
Re: Diversity in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:42:56 AM »
I live in northern VA and it is one of most diverse areas. However, as a teacher I do not think she would want to live here as prices are insane even for a 1bedroom apartment.

I would think it would be a little different in the southwest portion of VA. Charlottesville is a very nice place, with plenty of minorities. At least, Asian ones. To be quite honest, I've suffered more racism on the internet when anonymous posters make remarks than here in Virginia. As a matter of fact, the most racist ones to me were blacks.

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »
I did my UG at a VA state school--it's not so bad.
to William and Mary I go...gladly.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
While Virginia is the south, it's not the deep south.  Just something to keep in mind.  I'd think Virginia would be fine, whereas perhaps South Carolina, Mississippi, or Alabama would not.  It's a pretty liberal state, as far as these things go (I mean, it's not New York, but then it's definitely not Texas, either).

What?  Virginia's famous for Loving v. Virginia and for that (Prince somebody?) County where they closed the public school down rather than desegregate.  It's changed, but not necessarily that much.  It's also a state with everything from DC area to extremely rural areas.  There's a lot of variance across the state, at least in terms of political/voting trends.

Law2k6: I don't have enough personal experience to respond to this, but you're definitely right to ask the questions.  Keep researching, and you & your friend might visit/askQs in VA also (not just on this board), if possible.
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »
A friend and I were just talking about this yesterday.  She's from NYC, I'm from Richmond (we're both black).  She spends a lot of time thinking about racial issues, I don't.  She gave me several examples where she has either experienced or witnessed bigoted behavior since she's moved south.  I couldn't (or, if you prefer, couldn't be bothered to) come up with similar personal experiences. I pointed out instead that my parents had moved back home to VA from a big northeastern city in the 70s because they couldn't handle the racial tension there. 
We finally decided that it all came down to what we chose to focus on. I think that if your friend comes to Virginia convinced that there's a redneck on every corner and lynchings on alternate Thursdays, that's probably what she'll see.  If she comes with an open mind, she might enjoy herself.

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 12:06:56 AM »
Thanks ya'll. I appreciate the input. Not that a website can measure people's attitudes, but I found an interesting website today: http://65.39.85.13/google/default.htm
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009