Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Vs. LSDAS- Who does what?  (Read 1184 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
LSAC Vs. LSDAS- Who does what?
« on: August 02, 2004, 07:56:30 PM »
This question has been floating around various threads, so those who know please chime in.
As most of you know, I am not that intelligent, but I do know I paid one fee for LSAC and one fee for LSADS.  I paid these fees well over a year ago.  I tried to get a fee waiver, but at the time I tried, I missed the deadline.  I don't know what deadline and who imposes it.  I keep hearing people wanting to know if they have to repay after a year.  I am told my fees arew good for 5 years, yet I also have this feeling that I should be paying ONE OF THESE two a
fee annually, so I went to request a fee waiver, and it says ny account is current until 2009.
WHAT IS CURRENT UNTIL 2009.  Does LSAC run LSADS, are they mutually exclusive, what the hell is going on here.  LSAC makes the tests and administers them, LSADS takes care of LOR and transcripts.  IS LSADS just a PART OF LSAC, if so why did I make 2 separate payments at the same time?  I don't get it.  Has anbody mastered this beaurocratic nonsense?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

M2

Re: LSAC Vs. LSDAS- Who does what?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 07:58:35 PM »
LSAC (Law School Admission Council) is the nonprofit organization... LSDAS is a service that they offer.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 08:00:23 PM »
the LSAC is the Lesbian Sodomy Association of China and the LSDAS is the Last Stinky Diaper Around Seattle

...and yes, I did eat the entire bag of mushrooms.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 08:10:07 PM »
LSAC (Law School Admission Council) is the nonprofit organization... LSDAS is a service that they offer.

Non-profit my ass.  I was in accounting for awhile, did a lot of work for "non-profits" and I got paid, profited from them.  Laywers profited too. Please use non-taxed instead of non-profit, just a pet peave.
Also, that doesn't address the fees, and if one is indeed required to be paid annually.  That is my main concern, because I know this is going to unexpectantly come up and bite me in the ass at the most vulnerable time because I'm not sure what he hell is going on.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

M2

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 08:15:40 PM »
The term nonprofit means that there isn't a an Owner that sits around making money off of all this.
I standby my use of the term..

The American Cancer Society has payed employees but the point of the venture is not to make money...like the LSAC.

cjo6881

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:17:46 PM »
I also prefer the term non-profit.  Technically, these organizations are subject to either a 1% or 2% excise tax, in addition to tax on unrelated business income.  From an accounting standpoint, if you're going to be technically correct, they should be referred to as 501(c)(3) organizations.

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 09:51:37 PM »
I was unaware that you had to pay for LSAC services.  I know I didn't when I signed up last year.  However, LSDAS, which is the part that processes your transcripts, LORs, etc. is the one for which you pay a fee.  Hope that helps.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 09:59:20 PM »
How many times does one have to say that there is no annual fee?  5 years means 5 years.  I've had my file set up and active for a year and a half now, and it's just fine.

And instead of critiquing M2's use of the term 'non-profit', how about we look at his actual answer, which as far as I understand it, is correct.  LSAC is the organization. LSDAS, which is what you've paid for, is a service.  The LSAT, if you've signed up for it, is a separate "service" LSAC provides.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 10:22:30 PM »
Well... I thought I was funny at least. Thats all that matters.

KareBear

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kare516
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 11:13:03 PM »
If you have an online account at LSAC.org, just sign on, go to Account Status --> Fees and all your transactions with LSAC are listed.  You probably paid one time to register for the LSAT and another time for the LSDAS service.