Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Entertainment law in la - help  (Read 2073 times)

live in la

• View Profile
Entertainment law in la - help
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:44:57 PM »
I am interested in pursuing an entertainment law career in LA.  I am 35 and have a Ph.D. in psychology and prefer to go to a part-time program (Southwestern or Loyola) because I have a great job that pays well, is very flexible, and only about 20-30 hrs/wk.  However, if I were to go to USC, I would have to go full-time (which would be more of a financial strain).  How much difference will it really make if I go to USC vs. a school like Loyola?

pedrito

• View Profile
Re: Entertainment law in la - help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm not an entertainment lawyer, but I have spoken with several in the course of my explorations of the legal field (I'm going to law school next fall), and from everything I've heard, it matters quite a lot.  Unless you have excellent connections (read: are close with industry execs, talent, or established entertainment attorneys), you'll have a VERY difficult time breaking into the field unless you're at a school like USC or UCLA (or Stanford etc).  As far as I can tell, most top entertainment firms recruit from top corporate firms, which don't usually recruit from 2nd tier schools.  The one exception might be if you could do exceptionally well at Loyola (top 5%). 

Hope this helps, good luck!

BrieGersh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »
Well on the other side of the coin, there are some very powerful entertainment lawyers based in LA who are Loyola grads. If you want to stay in LA I think either one is ok. If you want to do entertainment in NYC or any other city, obviously USC has national recognition. It just comes down to what are you willing to pay for. Also, if you have the scores for USC, you will get some financial aid from Loyola. Remember the competition levels at USC compared to Loyola. I think graduating top 10%, getting moot court, and or law review @ Loyola, vs. squeaking a B average at USC. Can you tell I am pushing Loyola?

Good Luck - Brie

live in la

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 11:04:52 PM »
What about Southwestern?  I know it's not as highly regarded as Loyola, but does it have a decent reputation in LA?

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 11:33:07 AM »
http://www.swlaw.edu/entertainment/alumni.html

Check that out.  Its a list of where Southwestern grads have landed top entertainment law jobs.  Granted, every school has some grads they can brag about and that they like to focus on, but I thought this was an impressive list.  Obviously, Loyola and USC are ranked higher and probably have higher visibility in LA and definitely across the country, but I was impressed with this list anyhow.

I've applied to Southwestern, so if you have anymore questions about it I might be able to answer them since I've done some research on them.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi