Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If reapplying, does it matter if your LOR are a year old?  (Read 572 times)

ARG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If reapplying, does it matter if your LOR are a year old?
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »
I am wondering how much having Letters of Rec. from this cycle will hurt me next cycle
Go Badgers!

anise

• View Profile
Re: If reapplying, does it matter if your LOR are a year old?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:39:51 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing...

sharpchick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »
I reapplied after 4 years.  The first time I applied was right out of undergrad and then after getting in had decided I wanted to make sure I really wanted to go to law school.  Now after working for a few years, I kind of have to (because of what I want to do).  I emailed all the schools I was applying to and asked if it was okay to use my LSAC letters from when I was still a student, without updating them, and they said it was fine as long as I had a more updated letter.  My scores aren't amazing, but I got into BU and Northeastern with scholarships so far, and I did that for every school.

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »
I don't think so...how can someone's opinion change of you in a year?  If you are worried about it I'm sure the people that did your LOR's have the file saved and you can just resubmit them.

anon123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »
I applied last year and didn't get into any of my top choices. I re-took the LSAT, went up 10 points, re-applied with the same two letters from last year plus one new one and got into my top choices.

Bottom line is that the old letters should be just fine, although most schools would like to get one new one. Most schools retain files from the last few cycles so you don't need to re-submit old letters, but a few don't -- make sure you ask at each school you're re-applying to.