Law School Discussion

anyone here thinks LSAT is easy?

redemption

Re: anyone here thinks LSAT is easy?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 04:13:34 PM »
Since it is not about innate intelligence, but instead about habit and practice, it seems only reasonable to suppose that everyone without a learning disability (and anyone who doesn't freak out on test day) could do well on the LSAT. The only variable is how long that would take. My somewhat educated guess, for what it's worth, would be that 4-6 months of steady practice of the rght sort should enable one to get 90+ raw.

I think you overestimate individual agency in these matters.  What you call habit and practice is shaped by culture; it's much more than, say, a simple choice to prepare steadily for 4-6 months.  Among other things, it is shaped by an awareness of the importance of the test and one's own expectations for performance. Both of these are products of socioeconomic status, geography, culture, educational background, etc.

That said, the fact that the test is easy for some and not for others does not mean anything about the relative "intelligence" of the testtakers.  I agree wholeheartedly about this.  I just want to keep pushing you on whether the test's ability to measure intelligence (or lack thereof) has anything to do with its difficulty.

I would bet that the bolded part is the single greatest explanator for LSAT performance. That's partly why I strongly believe in cut-off scores -- they make quite clear the relative importance of the LSAT, and give people a heads-up that they should prepare well for it.

Let me be as clear as I can about your question: there is no relationship between (so-called innate) intelligence and performance on the LSAT, assuming away learning disabilities and lack of fluency in English.

Zul

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 04:25:58 PM »
Let me be as clear as I can about your question: there is no relationship between (so-called innate) intelligence and performance on the LSAT, assuming away learning disabilities and lack of fluency in English.

I am dumbfounded that someone so apparently intelligent could believe such an utterly retarded thing. The LSAT is HIGHLY dependent on intelligence. I would bet every cent I own that any proper study done would show a strong correlation between LSAT results and IQ test results.  Not a perfect correlation - just as IQ test results are not perfectly correlated with g - but a strong one.

You don't believe there's such a thing as innate intelligence??  You're evidence for your own assertion really; "intelligent" people often just aren't all that smart.

P.S. My first timed practice test was a 175. It's no freaking coincidence that I was top of the class in my undergrad, while barely working, and high school, while actively not working.  Don't listen to these people readers.

magnumalv

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 04:32:32 PM »
P.S. My first timed practice test was a 175. It's no freaking coincidence that I was top of the class in my undergrad, while barely working, and high school, while actively not working.  Don't listen to these people readers.

how do you actively not do something?

Bork

• Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
Wow. Pretty aggressive first post Zuli. You totally misinterperated red's argument though and really set yourself up by suggesting that the IQ test actually measures "intelligence." Intelligence is a subjective measure anyway. Red is going to have a field day with the things you just said.LOL. Welcome to the LSD though!!! ;D

redemption

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »

I am dumbfounded that someone so apparently intelligent could believe such an utterly retarded thing. The LSAT is HIGHLY dependent on intelligence. I would bet every cent I own that any proper study done would show a strong correlation between LSAT results and IQ test results.  Not a perfect correlation - just as IQ test results are not perfectly correlated with g - but a strong one.

You don't believe there's such a thing as innate intelligence??  You're evidence for your own assertion really; "intelligent" people often just aren't all that smart.

1. people who do well on the LSAT always claim to also be intelligent
2. The quality of your post - filled with assumptions and errors - tells me that you're not
3. This is your first post? Masturbation in public? You need to work on your game, son.

Bork

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
I am Nostradamus. ;)

jorge

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »
I thought that everything except the games required similar skills to those honed in a liberal arts education. I think I missed ~three questions total outside of the games.

The games, on the other hand, seemed alien to me. I studied them for a total for ~15 hours before taking the LSAT and could never finish more than roughly half in the allotted time. After a certain point, studying seemed to bring diminshing returns. I never finished my games bible, so I can't say that's true for certain. My score, 168, isn't fantastic, but it shows that you can do well even if you struggle with a section (I missed ~9 questions in games because I didn't get to them).

redemption

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »
I thought that everything except the games required similar skills to those honed in a liberal arts education. I think I missed ~three questions total outside of the games.

The games, on the other hand, seemed alien to me. I studied them for a total for ~15 hours before taking the LSAT and could never finish more than roughly half in the allotted time. After a certain point, studying seemed to bring diminshing returns. I never finished my games bible, so I can't say that's true for certain. My score, 168, isn't fantastic, but it shows that you can do well even if you struggle with a section (I missed ~9 questions in games because I didn't get to them).

Yes. Games are different. They're learnable, too.

Bork

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »
Jorge:

I am having the exact same problem. I'm missing about 5 outside of the games section but never make it through more than three games. I just started the LG Bible about 2 weeks ago and I am hoping that I will be making it through 4 by JUNE.

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »
wow, it sounds like alot of people here are getting 175+. then I guess half of the people on this board will end up in Harvard and Yale, right?
That's just funny.