Law School Discussion

Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

redemption

Re: Should everyone go to college?
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 07:24:39 AM »
the results of this poll are surprising given the liberal bent of this board.

Not really.

This is a really lame thread.

florentino ariza

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »
but the question is, should we expect that much from someone born into a lower SES? is that fair to them, to pretty much force them to lose a part of their childhood because of who they were born to, while others can skate by with better opportunities due to their parents?

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 07:46:54 AM »
but the question is, should we expect that much from someone born into a lower SES? is that fair to them, to pretty much force them to lose a part of their childhood because of who they were born to, while others can skate by with better opportunities due to their parents?

it isn't fair, but life isn't fair.  life isn't fair for kids who are born ugly, for example, or easy for kids born in thirs world countrys, but that is just how life is. i didn't have a childhood, but when i think i could have had one and would currently be working at the hooters down the road and not have a degree, the loss seems kinda worth it.  it sucks to think how many people born into wealth there are out there that get most everything handed them, have the time to bump up their resumes with tons of volunteer work cause they don't need to work full time, get internships through connections, can afford people to work on their ls apps, get to travel all over the world, and that the poor kids have to work twice as hard to get even half as much, but i don't see how much there is to do to change it without abadnoning capitalism and property law entirely.

redemption

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 07:58:15 AM »
you people are mean.

They're going to run the country in 25-30 years. Get used to it.

redemption

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »
Yea yea, still why cant we have college educated garbage men? And UPS drivers? I'd personally love to strike up an intelligent conversation with the mail man. That's just me I guess

Me too. I'm beginning to like you.

plaintext

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2006, 08:03:55 AM »

why do you need a degree to have an intelligent conversation?

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2006, 08:04:38 AM »
Yea yea, still why cant we have college educated garbage men? And UPS drivers? I'd personally love to strike up an intelligent conversation with the mail man. That's just me I guess

Who is the mean one now! Just because someone didn't go to college doesn't mean you can't have an intelligent conversation with them.  My dad could carry on an intelligent conversation with ANY of the Americanists in my history department and he is a high school dropout.  Way more intelligent conversations than the people I know with online degrees.  I know, I know, ancetodatel evidence but the first example that came to mind.

I worked a job that paid under $10/hour all last summer (after getting a degree) because that was all I could find short term.  Nothing sucks more than having a college degree and working a bad job for crap pay.  At least when I didn't have a degree I understood why I couldn't get better work.

redemption

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2006, 08:06:23 AM »
The mailman probably doesn't want to have an intelligent conversation with you.  jsia.

With me? We have one every day.

why do you need a degree to have an intelligent conversation?

Intelligent means properly marshalling a wide range of knowledge. You can work the rest out from there.

redemption

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 08:08:38 AM »
Well I mean... how do you discuss Diderot with a high school graduate?

I am not saying a non-college educated person is incapable of having an intelligent conversation. It's just easier to do that when you have wider knowledge.

Hence the point of a college education.

florentino ariza

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 08:08:50 AM »
online degrees =/= degree.

heck, my degree doesn't really count.

but that makes sense, because i don't make intelligent conversation.

further, i don't agree with you, AH. i think we can certainly make things more fair without abandoning capitalism or property rights. i don't think we can make it truely fair, but we can certainly improve things from where they are now. it's when you stop trying to improve things that you ultimately set yourself up for failure. :)