Law School Discussion

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: NY Times - Cultural explainations for failure of black men
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
But the parents themselves don't know any better.

right, but then we shouldn't blame it on hip hop at all, but the decline of the black family which we can blame on the decline in steady employment/opportunity structures etc, etc.
stop persecuting JAY Z!

D. Pro

• Everytime I do it, I do it for my hood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 12:16:02 PM »

right, but then we shouldn't blame it on hip hop at all, but the decline of the black family which we can blame on the decline in steady employment/opportunity structures etc, etc.
stop persecuting JAY Z!

exactly...

"Hov did that. So, hopefully you ain't gotta go through that..."  haha

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 12:23:21 PM »
Why are people so afraid to blame it on hip-hop culture? I think it's so obvious that the glorification of "thug life" is more than 50 percent of the cause of the lack of achievement in our community today. I don't think we need any more/better leaders. We need less Fifty Cent. JMHO

Blaming hip-hop is the easy thing to do. The problems discussed in the article above have roots reaching further back than Rapper's Delight and 808 drums. They are rooted in the social and political history of our country, which has manifested itself countless times, even whan only looking at those post Juneteenth times. If we need concrete examples, we can look at COINTELPRO, Reaganomics, Jim Crow, etc... the list goes on.

As for the assertion that hip-hop is the cause of any of this, I believe that is short-sighted. Hip-Hop is more of the effect of the underlying problem, rather than a cause. The "thug life" that can so easily identified in song lyrics and on street corners is not endemic to our communities... there ain't no uzi's made in harlem, and nobody in South LA owns a boat to bring the coca in...

I'm glad someone said it!!  Drugs and broken homes were problems before hip hop......as much as we glorify the Civil Rights movement, rightfully so, it wasn't without problems (see lives of the lauded singers and celebrities who were "down for the cause")

What we have is a problem that has spiraled out of control; hip hop is too recent to be blamed. 

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »

stop persecuting JAY Z!

exactly...

"Hov did that. So, hopefully you ain't gotta go through that..."  haha

lookouts out back selling they mamas sofa