« on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

WarrenG

• Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NY Times - Cultural explainations for failure of black men
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
Good article.  I think a change in ourselves will neccessarily preceed a change in others.  In other words, blacks need to get their stuff in order before those in power will address the problems on their end.  A popular and positive black movement is needed for change to occur and that cannot and will not occur unless we make the first move. 

Why hasn't that change occured yet?  IMO it's the void in black leadership since MLK died.  Every movement benefits from charismatic leadership and I fear that change will not come until that new leader comes forth.  Barack Obama is a candidate for this position but, unfortunately, his leadership potential is hampered by his involvement in politics.

scurred1

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:47:48 PM »
Why are people so afraid to blame it on hip-hop culture? I think it's so obvious that the glorification of "thug life" is more than 50 percent of the cause of the lack of achievement in our community today. I don't think we need any more/better leaders. We need less Fifty Cent. JMHO

WarrenG

• Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »
Why are people so afraid to blame it on hip-hop culture? I think it's so obvious that the glorification of "thug life" is more than 50 percent of the cause of the lack of achievement in our community today. I don't think we need any more/better leaders. We need less Fifty Cent. JMHO

Getting rid of something only leaves a void.  What's to stop something equally as bad or worse from filling that void.  I agree that 'thug life' is part of the problem, and that getting rid of it is part of the solution but their needs to be a better alternative offered in it's place.

The way I see it strong black leaders can both expedite the eradication of thug life and promote a plausible and positive alternative. 

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:45 AM »
Nor have studies explained why, if someone cannot get a job, he turns to crime and drug abuse. One does not imply the other. Joblessness is rampant in Latin America and India, but the mass of the populations does not turn to crime.

Well, this argument is bull.  I mean, it might be an interesting question if posed differently, but in an article about black Americans, it's only really relevant to compare across other Americans.

But again, whites who listen to rap often understand that the music goes off when it's time to study and advance oneself. That message doesn't seem to get to many young black men who are permanently living the thug life.

Which white people?  Rich ones?  Poor ones?  Both?  If you're talking about folks who already don't fit (and aren't expected to fit) the image of "thug life," it ain't no thang to turn the music off and get back to one's real life.

D. Pro

• Everytime I do it, I do it for my hood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:41:39 AM »

Blaming hip-hop is the easy thing to do. The problems discussed in the article above have roots reaching further back than Rapper's Delight and 808 drums. They are rooted in the social and political history of our country, which has manifested itself countless times, even whan only looking at those post Juneteenth times. If we need concrete examples, we can look at COINTELPRO, Reaganomics, Jim Crow, etc... the list goes on.

As for the assertion that hip-hop is the cause of any of this, I believe that is short-sighted. Hip-Hop is more of the effect of the underlying problem, rather than a cause. The "thug life" that can so easily identified in song lyrics and on street corners is not endemic to our communities... there ain't no uzi's made in harlem, and nobody in South LA owns a boat to bring the coca in...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »
I agree that it's far more complicated than "blame hip-hop."

I also think cultural symptoms tend to perpetuate cultural problems, though--whatever the culture, symptoms and "problems" in discussion.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »
thats crap.  white kids don't inherently know when to turn of Em and pick up an SAT book.  their parents yell at them, ground them etc.  I think more than thug life, we have a crisis in parenting. 

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »
But the parents themselves don't know any better.

redemption

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
The search for respect is the key to any culture.

Rap fills the void, it didn't create the void.