Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do American schools discriminate Canadian schools?  (Read 1333 times)

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
Do American schools discriminate Canadian schools?
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
How come there are so little UofT students admitted to Harvard? like 5,6 peole every year. They even accept more students from some less-known American schools than from UofT. is it simply because less students from uoft apply to those top schools or is it they don't really want Canadians...?

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do American schools discriminate Canadian schools?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »
How come there are so little UofT students admitted to Harvard? like 5,6 peole every year. They even accept more students from some less-known American schools than from UofT. is it simply because less students from uoft apply to those top schools or is it they don't really want Canadians...?

they probably get fewer canadian applications
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:25:25 PM »
I think a big part of it is that canadian students are less likely to apply for American schools. It is expensive to apply, expensive to attend and difficult to come back. If you check out lawstudents.ca, there are a few people who think they may stay at UofT even if they do get into top american schools. Cheeks was debating (but is now at Harvard).

That being said, they take most of their students from the HYPSC set, which us Canadians could have attended. So I think just not going to those schools is an issue.

Still, good grades, lsat and experience should get you in. I hope to be the first from my school to get in!!

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 08:28:13 PM »
It's because only 5or6 UofT qualify to gain admittance to Harvard per year.  Which is a lot.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
hmmm, I don't know. UofT is Canada's biggest and, arguably, most prestigious school. There should be a large number of qualified students but the numbers do not reflect that. I really think the low numbers have to do with a lack of applicants as opposed to a lack of qualified students.

But I could be wrong. Without complete stats we are all guessing. But the above poster is right. If you have the qualifications you will be accepted. Don't worry that only a few UofT alumni are at harvard. Just worry about yourself.

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:39:53 PM »
It's because only 5or6 UofT qualify to gain admittance to Harvard per year.  Which is a lot.
are you saying uoft is a bad school?

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
Considering the circumstances, 5 or 6 is actually quite a bit.  That's equivalent to some pretty prestigious schools in the U.S.  I agree with the above posters, but would add that they may discriminate in terms of a maximum number of Canadian acceptances.  At some point they're going to limit the amount of Canadians in their 1L class.  Much like UofT and McGill do with Yanks.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »
Considering the circumstances, 5 or 6 is actually quite a bit.  That's equivalent to some pretty prestigious schools in the U.S.  I agree with the above posters, but would add that they may discriminate in terms of a maximum number of Canadian acceptances.  At some point they're going to limit the amount of Canadians in their 1L class.  Much like UofT and McGill do with Yanks.

I dont think they do that. Harvard doesn't really have a mission to educate Americans like UofT has to educate Canadians. They don't care what you do with your degree.

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »
Dude(SN), think about what you're saying.  Would they have a 1st year class of all Canadians?  No.  At some point they are going to say enough is enough.  The limit may be high, but, as I said, this is the only possible disadvantage to being a Canadian applicant.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 06:13:46 PM »
Dude(SN), think about what you're saying.  Would they have a 1st year class of all Canadians?  No.  At some point they are going to say enough is enough.  The limit may be high, but, as I said, this is the only possible disadvantage to being a Canadian applicant.

I doubt this limit is ever encountered. There are ten times as many Americans as Canadians and Canadians don't apply as frequently to Harvard as Americans. There are only 1500 people with a top 1% LSAT in the first place, and Harvard admits 800 or so people at least.