Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comprehension Strategies Thread  (Read 1976 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Reading Comprehension Strategies Thread
« on: August 02, 2004, 07:10:48 PM »
I would like to try a new strategy to reading comprehension, and sugggestions?

my current one is to read teh section while underlining and then answer the questions.  i have to go back and forth a milllion times to get the right answer.  and when i go over my wrong answers it doesnt help because im not under a time constraint

please help, than you
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Comprehension Strategies Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 07:24:53 PM »
The Nova book has a really good section on Reading Comp. It basically says that there are only six types of reading comp questions. As you go through the passage think about those questions and start answering them in the back of your head: what is the main point, what is the function of the third/second paragraph, what is the structure of the passage. For the questions that are more specific you have no choice but to go back and look them up. Unless you're one of the 170-plus geniuses among us. LOL. You just have to get better at underlining the key points and circling key words so you know where to look. And practice, practice, dude. What also helps me is starting with the easiest, shortest passage -- which is never the first. Those get my confidence up and makes the longer, denser ones less intimidating. 

Victor

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »
Good thread Blunts.

Scurred I was told that the Nova book had little information about RC's if I had known that Nova had info I would've picked it up 6 months ago.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 07:35:24 PM »
why aren't you under time constraints while practicing?

i feel like i've posted about this 900 times before, but-- i stopped reading and started just skimming through quickly, then going back as i answered the questions, and then i never got more than 1 or 2 RCs wrong per section.

Victor

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 07:42:43 PM »
why aren't you under time constraints while practicing?

i feel like i've posted about this 900 times before, but-- i stopped reading and started just skimming through quickly, then going back as i answered the questions, and then i never got more than 1 or 2 RCs wrong per section.

I think this is something that will just work for you or other English majors. I would strongly dissaude others from skimming unless you are out of time.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »
I read the questions then go through the article. This way I keep in mind what is being asked of the article. As I get to a part that answers a question, I go over and answer it. Then I transfer all the answers over to the bubble sheet after each article is completed. You would think I have to re-read each question all the way through and waste time... but I actually finish faster this way and only get like 0-1 wrong per article.

Victor

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:05:26 PM »
I read the questions then go through the article. This way I keep in mind what is being asked of the article. As I get to a part that answers a question, I go over and answer it. Then I transfer all the answers over to the bubble sheet after each article is completed. You would think I have to re-read each question all the way through and waste time... but I actually finish faster this way and only get like 0-1 wrong per article.

Yeah I tried that, it's kinda risky though because I left some questions blank by accident, I just totally forgot about them because of my pattern of answering questions.

mukhia

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »
I basically used eyeQ to bring up my speed (I was used to reading slowly thanks to my major - dense articles that had to be picked apart meticulously).  I now make any notes of definitions in the margin, shift in time period or perspective, and I circle all dates and numbers.  I also make abbreviated notes of key relationships in the margin, e.g., as energy in water increased, bacterial activity decreased.  RC is one of my strongest sections and I rarely miss - I also finish with about 5 minutes to spare so I can go through my answers to make sure they conform with my overall understanding of the passage. 

I always start with the passage that has the most questions first.  Also, I prephrase the main point of the passage prior to answering any questions and jot it down.

I hope they have science passages in Oct. because those are the easiest - I swear.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 08:26:24 PM »

Yeah I tried that, it's kinda risky though because I left some questions blank by accident, I just totally forgot about them because of my pattern of answering questions.

Princeton Review tells you to fill in all the remaining answers with your "letter of the day (usually b or c)" when there is 10 minutes left in the exam. Then go work them one at a time. This way you will still have a chance of getting the ones you didnt have time to work out right. I wait until 5 minutes though.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 09:38:57 AM »
I dont skim read passages, but i do attempt to powerread them.  (Powerreading for me is just reading as fast as i can while still understanding what is going on)  That gives me more time for the difficult questions...those questions that even a slow, deliberate read wont answer. 

I agree on some level though...many questions on a reading section do not require full comprehension of the subject matter. 

You need to find a balance between understanding the passage and reading fast enough so that you have time to refer back to the questions for specific detail questions (that cant be answered by mere comprehension)

As for my other strategies (as listed in another post)

1) i circle proper names
2) i circle lists of items or descriptors
3) i circle lists of reasons and put the number in brackets on the side
4) I underline (to aid comprehension and slow me down) in sections that im having difficulty understanding.

I also agree with the one poster on science passages...I find them the easiest by FAR.  I guess my brain just likes that stuff .

Matt