45 (21.8%)
I'm male and DONTwant kids
 35 (17%)
I'm female and DONT want kids
 50 (24.3%)
unsure
 25 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Anyone planning on NEVER having kids???  (Read 27249 times)

norcaldude

Re: Anyone planning on NEVER having kids???
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »
The best advice I ever heard on this topic (which I ignored, BTW) was simple: If you wait until you can afford children, you'll never have kids.  To me, it seems like you can never afford kids, yet you can always afford them.  Kind of a paradox, but its true.     

Suit yourself.  I set a few targets for having kids (a house, being to afford their education, not clipping coupons to get by), I don't see those targets changing... I'll never have kids if I don't see myself reaching those targets.

Worst thing I could do is move to the suburbs and raise a little baseball player in a school that emphasizes sports over academics...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2006, 08:03:34 AM »
Worst thing I could do is move to the suburbs and raise a little baseball player in a school that emphasizes sports over academics...

And THIS right here is part of your problem.  It doesn't matter what the school emphsizes.  Your kid will get the education you want him to have if you do it right. 

And I'd also like to point out that you seem to have some major stereotypical, warped views of suburbs.

norcaldude

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »

And THIS right here is part of your problem.  It doesn't matter what the school emphsizes.  Your kid will get the education you want him to have if you do it right. 

And I'd also like to point out that you seem to have some major stereotypical, warped views of suburbs.

I've lived in one for a short period.  It's a decent last resort... but ones with decent schools aren't going to lower the cost of housing, just the cost of tuition. 

Don't know about you, but I find it much easier to study when people around me are studying; not sure how well I would have done in a typical football-first high school.

There is a certain extent to which I'm willing to lower MY standard of living to have kids, living in a suburb isn't part of the equation.  In that sense I admit to being selfish.  But there's nothing wrong with my calculations for anybody who plans to stay in a world-class city, which nobody seems to want to admit...

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »

Why the worst?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2006, 12:39:24 PM »

Why the worst?

Thatis, what does the child lose?

norcaldude

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2006, 12:41:58 PM »

Why the worst?

1) A content parent.
2) Almost any chance at having a lifestyle better than his parents...

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »

Why the worst?

1) A content parent.
2) Almost any chance at having a lifestyle better than his parents...

1)  Your happiness would not be based on the child's?
2)  What if that's not importnt to him / her?

norcaldude

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2006, 12:47:46 PM »
As I said, the worst thing I, personally, could do.  I'm sure people can be happy in the midwest, or in suburbs, etc, I can't.

Plenty of people in suburbs who move there for the sole purpose of raising children are miserable.  I'd be one of them, even if said children are "happy".  That's the kind of crap that leads to divorces, fights, etc.  Not for me.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »
As I said, the worst thing I, personally, could do.  I'm sure people can be happy in the midwest, or in suburbs, etc, I can't.

Plenty of people in suburbs who move there for the sole purpose of raising children are miserable.  I'd be one of them, even if said children are "happy".  That's the kind of crap that leads to divorces, fights, etc.  Not for me.

Any interest in answering the questions posed?

norcaldude

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2006, 12:57:49 PM »
Any interest in answering the questions posed?

I answered the first one, I think the answer was something along the lines of my kids can't be happy if I'm miserable, and I'll be miserable regardless outside a my kind of city, so it's a circle.

As for the second question, I have to make sure to provide such that the goals I had, or greater ones, can be accomplished if wanted.