45 (21.8%)
I'm male and DONTwant kids
 35 (17%)
I'm female and DONT want kids
 50 (24.3%)
unsure
 25 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Anyone planning on NEVER having kids???  (Read 27441 times)

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone planning on NEVER having kids???
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 12:51:55 PM »
Unless medical science reaches a point where I can be guaranteed children with no genetic defects, then I won't be breeding.

For some reason, the people in my particular field have abnormally high levels of birth defects and the like, most likely due to the radiation to which we're exposed daily. I can't say where I work or in what field, but the prevalence of both birth defects and the reality of radiation exposure has made me wary.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »
Wow I must be the only one who actually wants kids. I envision myself hopefully getting married after law school and then having kids sometime later on. I want a family and I want to be a lawyer. It can be done and has been for many generations, if not then why would so many of my student peers say be saying, "both my parents are lawyers". I just want it allllllllllllll ;D ;D
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
Wow Latinlord...I haven't seen you in forever. Congrats on your other acceptances!

Thank you, yea i haven't said much on the board lately, I still look at it almost everyday. I haven't gotten any more news from a bunch of other schools. So there really hasn't been anything decent to post about, plus i'm starting to get ready for the big move in a month. Nervousness, excitment and many other feeling are comming across my mind as I get closer and closer to leaving for school. Thank you again for the Congrats and Congrats to you too!! You got into incredible schools!!
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »
Thanks buddy. Let us know how the big move goes.

Have you decided yet where you are going to be headed??? ARe you still waiting on a few schools?? Which school is leading the pack for you as they say?

Esq Now

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »
Papa said "If I choose to make time for my family and structure my work/life around that...whole different story."

Well, as the saying goes, good luck with that.   :D
Equity is crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
I have a nephew who turned 6 last month, I have friends who have kids. I am too selfish.

norcaldude

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 01:32:12 AM »
Kids are expensive.  If I can afford them, I'll consider it.  I'd have to have an insanely high income before it could even come under consideration though, something around $400k gross, minimum, at today's prices (unless the real estate market crashes or public schools in my city stop being off limits).

check01

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »
Kids are expensive.  If I can afford them, I'll consider it.  I'd have to have an insanely high income before it could even come under consideration though, something around $400k gross, minimum, at today's prices (unless the real estate market crashes or public schools in my city stop being off limits).

If that's how much you need to make to have a kid, you should keep all the cash. You'd save a lot of money if you let the nanny from South America raise her own children instead of yours.

norcaldude

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 09:28:50 PM »

If that's how much you need to make to have a kid, you should keep all the cash. You'd save a lot of money if you let the nanny from South America raise her own children instead of yours.

actually, that's without any thought of a nanny.  that's not in the necessary expense calculation...

Modest house (and I'm really saying modest, not too small, but nothing spectacular): $1.5m, @ 6%: $9000/mo
Taxes: $16000 yr
Insurance: $2000 yr
Maintenance + Utilities: $10000
Other than kid expenses: $20k/yr (I can live off that, includes food, a run-of-the-mill Honda, etc)
Savings: $10k/yr
-----------------------------------------
total: $166k

AMT kicks in, assume 35% overall federal + state tax rate.

income necessary before even CONSIDERING a kid: $255k

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kid expenses: $6k/yr (summer camps, food, etc, etc)
Kid education: $25k/yr (K-12, $50k/yr college)

Not tax deductible, so, another $31/.65 = ~ $47k -- even more at college, but less early on, so evens out

--------------------------------------------------------------

Total MINIMUM necessary income: ~$300k.

And that's without a Brazillian nanny, or a BMW.

I was $100k off.  Fine.  Same idea, $300k, 400k might as well be a mil to me today.

Anything wrong with the calculations?  That's really just to afford to raise a child, nothing much, nothing pretentious.  Want to be able to send them to summer camp, pay for piano lessons, sports teams, etc.  And live in relatively nice, unpretentious home, in a decent neighborhood, attending a decent school.

Sure, it's a lot less if the house doesn't cost a fortune, and public schools are decent, but I mentioned that at the beginning.  I like it here, regardless the costs.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 10:26:20 PM »
actually, that's without any thought of a nanny.  that's not in the necessary expense calculation...

Modest house (and I'm really saying modest, not too small, but nothing spectacular): $1.5m, @ 6%: $9000/mo
Taxes: $16000 yr
Insurance: $2000 yr
Maintenance + Utilities: $10000
Other than kid expenses: $20k/yr (I can live off that, includes food, a run-of-the-mill Honda, etc)
Savings: $10k/yr
-----------------------------------------
total: $166k

AMT kicks in, assume 35% overall federal + state tax rate.

income necessary before even CONSIDERING a kid: $255k

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kid expenses: $6k/yr (summer camps, food, etc, etc)
Kid education: $25k/yr (K-12, $50k/yr college)

Not tax deductible, so, another $31/.65 = ~ $47k -- even more at college, but less early on, so evens out

Total MINIMUM necessary income: ~$300k.

And that's without a Brazillian nanny, or a BMW.

I was $100k off.  Fine.  Same idea, $300k, 400k might as well be a mil to me today.

Anything wrong with the calculations?  That's really just to afford to raise a child, nothing much, nothing pretentious.  Want to be able to send them to summer camp, pay for piano lessons, sports teams, etc.  And live in relatively nice, unpretentious home, in a decent neighborhood, attending a decent school.

Sure, it's a lot less if the house doesn't cost a fortune, and public schools are decent, but I mentioned that at the beginning.  I like it here, regardless the costs.

I hope to god you're not serious...

And if you are serious:  you make me sick.