Law School Discussion

How do you emphasize LSAT scores in a PS?

shortbus

Re: How do you emphasize LSAT scores in a PS?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 06:39:28 PM »
Here's how:

My LSAT is 169
and my GPA is 2.8
LET ME IN DAMMIT

dubris

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »
Nice! Thanks.

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 07:20:10 PM »
The only way I can think of is IF you also have a trend in grades.  You could work around a theme that you have matured, studying more for your classes and preparing like hell for the LSAT because of your determination to go to law school.  Even under this scenario, you would have to be careful, but I think it would work if worded correctly.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 06:52:42 AM »
But your lsat and your transcript with grade trends are huge black numbers that adcoms look at before even reading your PS. Why write about them and waste a chance to say somethign more important?

MaroonOut2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 08:18:32 AM »
I disagree.  From what I've heard, adcoms may miss anything if you don't bring attention to it, especially grade trends.  Remember, they are focusing on the final numbers, they may no go through the entire transcript unless you point out something unusual in it.  In addition, it doesn't take a lot of room to write about a trend in grades.  I wrote about my grade trend in my personal statement, and it only took two sentences.  In addition, you can elaberate on exactly why you had a sudden trend in grades.  For all the adcom knows, you could have taken a lot of easy classes towards the end.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

But your lsat and your transcript with grade trends are huge black numbers that adcoms look at before even reading your PS. Why write about them and waste a chance to say somethign more important?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 08:36:06 AM »
Give adcoms some credit, they know how grading scales work, and even with just a glance at your transcript they'll see that you went from some Cs and Bs to B+s and As.  If there was some extenuating circumstance that led to a rocky start, then include it in an addendum, but to take up any space in your PS seems to be overkill.

MaroonOut2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 09:04:25 AM »
I've actually asked my pre-law advisor about this.  I asked, "do adcoms look at trends in grades," and she responded with "only if you ask them to."  You have to specify exactly why your grades went up, because they can't assume anything.  They won't assume you've matured, or changed your work ethic so you can increase your chances at law school.  For all they know, you've taken easier classes or gotten lucky.  Taking a sentence or two to specify exactly why there is a trend in your grades is not a waste.  In fact, it will probably stand out more than most of the personal statement. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
jason

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 09:08:37 AM »
I agree with Jacy, i think the PS should include things about you the adcom could not gather elsewhere in your app.  any explanations for negatives should be left for the addendum.  from all the quotes i have read, it seems like adcoms are looking to gain some insight into you as a human being with your PS... but this is just the conclusion i have come to.

MaroonOut2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 09:49:54 AM »
I think the factors surrounding your trend in grades can't be gathered from your application alone.  Telling the adcoms that you've matured or acquired a new-found sense of dedication for accademics is insight to you as a human being.  The adcoms have no idea why your grades went up unless you tell them.  Of course, that is just my theory on this issue.  To each their own. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 10:45:54 AM »
dubris, I'm in the same boat.  Not-so-great GPA, great LSAT.  I, too, have 5 years WE.  So in my PS, I wrote exclusively about my WE and how it shaped my desire to go to law school.  I mentioned undergrad in 2 sentences.  I talked at length with an admissions officer at Georgetown who told me that law schools generally place high value on substantive work experience, since these applicants tend to be more focused and know exactly what they want out of a legal education.  He said that the more distance you have from undergrad (time and experience), the less your GPA will matter in admissions.  He suggested to me, as I will to you, to make the PS bring out the personal qualities that were gained/improved by work experience.  Show how your experience has focused your ambitions and motivated you specifically for a career in law.  If you can demonstrate a trend of increasing responsibilities in your job, even better.  Getting this into your resume without laundry-listing your resume will help emphasize the length of time that has passed since your undergrad and lessen the severity of a poor GPA.  If you want some ideas and send me your email address, I can send you my PS.