Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 4132 times)

SCgrad

Re: Right to a Better Life Protests
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 04:44:43 AM »
can you draw the distinction between "us" and "them" on a non-arbitrary basis?

no, citizenships are rather silly.  but that's still the way the world is structured.

i disagree.  but there should be means to change your citizenship.

SCgrad

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 05:13:29 AM »
he's got a point in that the way we decide how to demarcate lines are arbitrary. 

you mean national borders?

SCgrad

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:57 AM »
How about "We are American"?

SCgrad

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 05:33:14 AM »
I just think people should have to choose what they are.  It makes no sense having different countries if everyone is the same everywhere.  Am I missing the point here, I didn't read the whole thread?

SCgrad

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 05:37:58 AM »
i think that red's basic point (and rhombot's for that matter) is that having different countries is stupid. 

i agree to some extent, but i prefer to have the world look more like us before we go ahead with world government.  (she's so going to come and kick my ass in a minute.)

would that lead to world laws.  I don't like it.  People are too different to do this.  One of the best things about the world is if you don't like the state of affairs in your country, there are several others that you can potentially choose from (something I am considering).

SCgrad

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2006, 05:44:22 AM »
would that lead to world laws.  I don't like it.  People are too different to do this.  One of the best things about the world is if you don't like the state of affairs in your country, there are several others that you can potentially choose from (something I am considering).

well then you may be screwed when red's running the planet.  by my calculations, you have 18 good years left.

i think that if there's no control over the movement of people, then countries would have about as much relevance as the states do now.  which is to say, some.  maybe even with a world government there would be room for you to choose.

i think a lot of immigration policies across the board are racist or in some ways prejudice, but I prefer the seperation they provide. 

Red ruling the world?  I think EVERYONE has their limitations.

SCgrad

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2006, 05:57:02 AM »
i think a lot of immigration policies across the board are racist or in some ways prejudice, but I prefer the seperation they provide. 

Red ruling the world?  I think EVERYONE has their limitations.

are they racist?  we don't still set quotas proportional to the US population now, do we? 

yeah, if there were no separation the whole concept of the nation-state would fall apart.  some people want that though.

and you say that but you know she's planning it.  i'm going to start playing nice so that she doesn't have me locked up somewhere when it happens.

I was actually speaking internationally.  I would only presume that America's policies were racist, I don't actually know one way or another.  I know Japan's are racist, and I'm sure several others are.

And I think Red likes me, I could be one of the dudes that stands behind her with a huge feather fan and keeps her cool all day.

SCgrad

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2006, 06:03:07 AM »
yeah, I think she will pick randomly from the ones listed in the Worst Job thread.  ;D

SCgrad

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:33 AM »
ah hell....  :D

i'm trying to push more legal immigration, stricter enforcement against illegal immigration as a consensus position though.  what do you think?

I think there is a problem in that more legal immigration means easier legal immigration, and what implications that could have for security.  Immigration is a problem (situation) that does not seem to have an easy answer (nothing ever does, right?).

SCgrad

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »
and they never pay taxes, too.