• View Profile
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »
:)
LSN

veg

Re: Right to a Better Life Protests
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 09:46:11 AM »
I'm torn.
On the one hand, I do believe that everybody deserves a chance at a better life, and I think that we should do all we can to ensure that happens.
On the other hand, I worked HARD to be able to enter, and reside, in this country legally. It makes me mad when people come in illegally and are just allowed to stay, etc.
I guess I'm more humane than mad, so I'll be on the side of the protesters.
But that doesn't mean I like the idea. It just means that I don't think anyone should be stuck living in poverty when America has enough to go around.
Where do you stand, SW?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »
Immigration is such as odd issue because notrious wal-mart is on the same side as do-gooders.

I am for immigrantion.  I pretty extreme on this issue.  1) I think immigrants help our economy grow 2) I think they help our population grow and lower the avg age of our gray haired population 3) I have a problem with keeping people out of the country, ideally I want a country with free borders, that may be impractical, but we should try to get as close to that idea in my opinion.

I think we benefit more from immigration than immigrants do from coming here-they generally work long manually intensive hours in agriculture work, consturcition work, medical work (changing sheets et cetera), hotel/motel work, and opening foreign resturants for little money in return.  We gain great economic benefits. 
On the other hand, We lose some social and culturally cohesiveness-but considering I don't have mainstream values on a lot of issues (I am not religious for example), it really doesn't bother me.

Don't get me wrong I do have a lot of mainstream values, I buy into the corny notion that the ultimate life is having a good job, a lovely wife, and 2.5 kids, so I do buy into things like the importance of family, but I fail to see why immigration (or gay marriage for that matter) would in anyway affect me.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Fidelio

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »
I am all for immigration.  What really raised my brows today was the recent articles on pro neo-con newspapers that have snidely (and ironically!) demonized religious leaders who have critiqued the anti-immigration legislation like Cardinal Mahoney with headlines such as "Mahoney's Malarky" and how he is supposedly siding with selfish capitalists. 

As if the neo-con ruffians have never ventured with selfish capitalists.

Not suprising that these slanted neo-con media goons have  gone so far to degrade catholic religious leaders soley to profit from their pestilent patrons.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »
how many of the illegal immigrants have a realistic chance at being accepted if they applied to immigrate legally?

how many of them can really live decent lives while they wait for the process to work?

how many of them are missing out on economic opportunities in their home countries because the US conquered and annexed their land? because the US overthrew their government and installed puppets? because the US terrorized them until they elected pro-US governments?

what are the attitudes of native americans towards immigration?
case '09

redemption

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »
Legal or illegal - everyone has a right to live anywhere. I'd like to see any rational justification for a belief that says otherwise.

redemption

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 08:53:38 PM »
So if it's illegal to be gay you don't have a right to be gay??

redemption

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 09:01:33 PM »
Nor do you.

Slaves in 19th C. US had rights to freedom despite the law.

Jews in Nazi Germany had rights to life despite the law.

Fidelio

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »
Nor do you.

Slaves in 19th C. US had rights to freedom despite the law.

Jews in Nazi Germany had rights to life despite the law.

I believe you are misapplying the word rights here where, which I feel so far is pretty vague in the context of the conversation...

redemption

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »

I believe you are misapplying the word rights here where, which I feel so far is pretty vague in the context of the conversation...

Gee - everyone's teaching me philosophy today