Law School Discussion

Libertarian Purity Test

Bman

Re: Libertarian Purity Test
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2004, 11:16:16 AM »
No, you didn't. Once again, this is what you said: """I for one would rather see an Iraqis live under Saddam Hussein's iron fist, than have them watch their innocent mothers/fathers/brothers/sisters/children killed indiscriminately in the name of "freedom"." 

The difference between our views are as follows:

1. You believe the humanitarian toll from the war outweighs the horror of leaving Saddam Hussein in power. I disagree.

2. You believe that the U.S. army has acted indiscriminately. I disagree.

Neither one of us has a monopoly on virtue on this debate. But claiming that if one grieves for Iraqi deaths than one must hold that the U.S. is not currently doing enough to avoid civilian casualties is a little obnoxious. It positions oneself as the sole position compatible with compassion for the Iraqi people.

darren

• Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2004, 11:26:32 AM »
OK, we're just going in circles here.  I didn't intend to make the implication that the war was not worth the cost, but I can see where you got that.  I think the jury is still out on whether the war was worth it, and the answer will only come when we see what becomes of Iraq in the coming years.

I guess we do simply disagree in our assessment of the military.  I should say that I definitely don't blame the soldiers fighting the war.  I think the problems that do exist are rooted further up in the chain of command.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »
25, I guess I am not as much of a freak as I thought.