Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HOW THE HELL???  (Read 5767 times)

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
HOW THE HELL???
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
I got dinged by University of Detroit Mercy, a very low-ranked tier 4 school, after getting accepted by MSU, a high ranked tier 3 school.  HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE???  Granted, I would have chosen MSU over U of D anyway, but it's a major blow to my pride.  My numbers were way above even the 75 percentile at that school  It was purely a safety school for me.  WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH HAPPENED?  I wonder if my "unfortunate" separation from the Air Force had something to do with it, but they got the same addendum for that, that MSU did and MSU didn't even hesitate to accept me.  I got an answer the day after my file went complete.  This kind of shakes my confidence about what Wayne, my first choice is going to do.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
Re: HOW THE HELL???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »
very odd.  did you misspell your name on the app?  jk
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:46:48 PM »
It is odd how they figure out these things.  Super subjective.  I got rejected from Southwestern, but accepted at Pepperdine.  I guess we should just be happy we're in at the the MUCH better choice  ;D
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:46:43 PM »
I got dinged by University of Detroit Mercy, a very low-ranked tier 4 school, after getting accepted by MSU, a high ranked tier 3 school.  HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE???  Granted, I would have chosen MSU over U of D anyway, but it's a major blow to my pride.  My numbers were way above even the 75 percentile at that school  It was purely a safety school for me.  WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH HAPPENED?  I wonder if my "unfortunate" separation from the Air Force had something to do with it, but they got the same addendum for that, that MSU did and MSU didn't even hesitate to accept me.  I got an answer the day after my file went complete.  This kind of shakes my confidence about what Wayne, my first choice is going to do.

Hey, I got dinged at BC, and that's freaking nuts. C'est la weird-o vie of law school applications, I guess.

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
you got into a better and more attractive school... shrug it off as UD's loss and don't complain.   also, if you read this board you'll see it happens a lot and is dubbed "yield protection" -- I wouldn't worry too much about Wayne based simply on this incident.
i like complicated :)

magnumalv

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 06:01:40 PM »
agreed with all above--it happens. BC waitlist here. sometimes part of your app just doesn't strike them the right way.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
I dunno, maybe you should ask them to tell ya about it. Haven't gotten around to ask FP about my rejection though.

ImNobody

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
I dunno, maybe you should ask them to tell ya about it. Haven't gotten around to ask FP about my rejection though.

I have too many rejections to follow that plan. There's simply not enough time or trees to kill.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
You got into the same school that Burger went to and that Blackmun (the guy who wrote Roe V. Wade) went to... you should be proud.

ImNobody

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:54:02 AM »
whoops- I am not complaining, simply cynical and a bit bemused.

I shot for the moon- I know these little envelopes are coming, and I'm ok with that. I promised myself not to apply anywhere I wouldn't be ecstatic about attending.
Its just that, well, there's been 7 rejections in a row and I've got 8 left to come...I feel like I'm being drowned in little "we regret to inform you" notices.

Incidentally, Blackmun was adjunct faculty at UMinn but graduated from Harvard Law  (who have apparently kept my application around for entertainment purposes thus far- I will take what I can get.)

All I really meant to say was- "gee, I certainly won't be asking why I got rejected, as they really had no business letting me in in the first place."