Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!  (Read 11649 times)

PFKing15

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2006, 07:53:34 AM »
Ok I need some feedback to this question:

How national is the GWU name?  Specifically how does it compare vis a vis Notre Dame's national reputation?  I am from the West Coast, but I quite frankly don't know where I will end up after law school.  I want to keep my options open.

Thanks for the help.

While Notre Dame has a more widely known brand name among the average american, I don't think its law school has a more national reputation in terms of job placememnt. After all, the people recruiting for firms will all have gone to law school, and they know which schools have the best students. [If this theory wasn't true, then I'd be screwed for going to Penn instead of Penn State as an undergrad.] I am a huge Notre Dame fan and so it is really hard to say anything that would be less than glowing, but in terms of professional education you need to look at the numbers and see who is coming to recruit.

Allow me to refer you to the following online article:
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2006/02/national_and_re.html

While the article explains the caveats of the information I'm about to include it does help provide some raw numbers for the sake of making comparisions:

(In terms of number of firms that come to recruit on campus)

Over 400 firms:  George Washington, Howard, Northwestern, Texas, Yale

Over 300 firms:  Cornell, UCLA, Vanderbilt

Over 200 firms:  Boston College, Boston Univ., Emory, Fordham, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Southern California, UC Hastings, William & Mary (and Washington & Lee is very close, with 197)

Now I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these number, and as the article states these numbers do not indicate where the firms are coming from so as to prove that one school is more "national" than the next.

BUT... that said.... here's my thought:

I'm from the East Coast, but I love California. I applied to schools on both coasts and in the end came down to deciding between University of Southern California and GWU. After talking to a lot of people both here at Penn, down at GW, and everywhere in between I arrived at the follow conclusions:

1. If I want to work in California and not in NYC or DC, I should go to USC.
2. If I want to work in DC or NYC, I should go to GW.
3. If I have no clue where I want to be, I should go to GW because the opportunity to study the law in Washington, DC is worth its weight in gold. [compared to every other city, not just South Bend]

In the info packet distributed during the preview weekend at GW contains information on the Employer Participants in the 2005 Fall Interview Program, and breaks it down by state. I count 50 firms from California, 52 firms from NYC, 125 from DC, 40 from Florida, & 14 from Chicago.[among many others]

I don't have any info on Notre Dame, but I can kind of relate with the dilema since USC has recieved a lot of national recognition for its exploits on the grid iron. In the end, I realized that there are more opportunities [for me] at GW than USC, and I would assume the same goes for Notre Dame --BUT I do not mean to make any kind of disparaging mark against the Blue and Gold. The general rule of thumb seems to be that if you want to work in a particular area go to school there, and if you can't, then go work there in the summer. While that probably doesn't help, I recall hearing from the lady in charge of CDO say that an L.A. firm is coming to campus in a few weeks and 75 students have already RSVP'd... if that's the case I'm sure West Coast firms will continue to supply recruiters to meet the interest of the students. Go to GW...but...

...Go Irish!

-DZ

In: GW, USC, Miami (24k), Villanova, Temple, American, Brooklyn, Santa Clara, Loyola,
Out: Michigan, Georgetown, UVA, Columbia, BC,  Boalt, UCLA   
Waitlisted: Fordham, Penn, W&L
No Word: Duke, Hastings

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2006, 08:53:03 AM »
To TheGunner...who are ya? I'm sure I'd remember you if I saw a pic or heard the name, but I don't remember who told me their screenname there. Sorry bout that :-).

Steve,

I sat in front of you during the late afternoon "Ask a student" session.  I was wearing a black turtleneck and we discussed how awful XOXO was. 

Special thanks to Gary Glitter for the GW trolling...This board could use a little love for George Washington.   

DS8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2006, 09:53:52 AM »
I've read this whole thread and have a few questions. I was accepted to GW's part time program last week, after the preview weekend. I was wondering if anyone can speak at all about the Part Time program at GWU. I would really appreciate any info or insight anyone has. I've already heard from Erapitt but that's about it.

Thanks a lot

eagles456

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »
I'm somewhat confused by all of this talk about lack of financial aid...Are people basing this purely on what they said during the preview weekend or on their own experiences?  I received my financial aid package from them last week and got a 13K grant, and I don't consider myself to be any different than the average college senior financially.  Basically what I'm saying is don't be too quick to knock the school until you've received your aid package, you might be suprised with what they do offer.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2006, 11:42:23 AM »
i received mine 4 days after i sent my forms in.  it was the swiftest denial i've ever received. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
My parents just sent in the PROFILE last weekend.

How long did it take to get yours?
I'm just planning on $160k in debt for now...
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »
probably a safe bet.  my parents don't make an indordinate amount of money or have tons of assets, but i do have a job as well, so that definitely hurt me too. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

eagles456

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
I sent mine in sometime between February 25-28.  It took about three weeks to get a response.

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2006, 01:59:10 PM »
Hm... it's cutting in close on the April 15 "decision day."  Here's hoping... a halfway decent sized financial aid grant or merit anything could seal it for me.
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

deucegammons

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
I'm 27 and have been out from under my parents financially for quite some time.  I called GW to explain that I should still be considered for need-based aid for that reason, but would not be able to provide my parents' information.  They said that I should have my parents write a letter to that end, and that they would consider my case.  The key ingredient seemed to be that I:
1.  Have not lived with my parents for the last four years.
2.  Have not been claimed on my parents tax return for the last 4 years.  (They have ways of checking, so don't lie about this.)

Long story short, they gave me $5K/year, provided I take out the maximum in Stafford Loans.  That definitely helps a great deal.