Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!  (Read 11386 times)

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
Re: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
Hey everyone I don't usually post here, but I've been an avid reader of this board for a while now.  I'm considering GW, and hopefully someone can clarify something for me about the school.

I still don't understand what prospective students mean when they say they visit a campus (in this case GW) and sense an "inferiority complex".  This term has been used to describe many schools.  What to do people mean by this?  Are the staff and admissions office literally bitter?  Is the school administration full of pseudo-used car dealers desperate to sell their school to prospective students?  Do the students have permanent chips on their shoulders?

Personally, I think its totally appropriate for a school like GW to "boast" about its notable programs, especially to students making choices between a large number of schools.

The inferiority complex to which posters refer is a feeling that they should have gotten into better schools, but were ultimately turned down and thus are now "stuck" at the school they currently attend.  Thus there is a sense of bitterness which I suppose comes out when the students talk about their school.  They are aware there are better schools out there that they are not attending. 
As for students "selling" the school, perhaps it is a way to convince themselves that their decision to attend the school was the correct one.  By extolling the virtues of the school to others, they are reminding themselves of the positive aspects of the schools.
Look, anyone attending GW knows there are about 15 schools that are "better".  Just like anyone attending Georgetown knows there are 10 schools that are "better".  Just like anyone attending Virginia knows there are 6 schools that are "better".  So unless you go HYS, you are always going to have some bitter students with inferiority complexes.   

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
Logic --

I'm going to William & Mary this weekend too... I can't help but feel like I'm cheating on GW though... :(
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 07:23:34 PM »
I have a buddy at GW and this is what I know about it:

1) it has the #2 or #3 IP program in the country and places nationally in this capacity.
2) he is in the top 1/3 of his class is actively being recruited by BigLaw firms in DC and elsewhere
3) his 1L summer he had no problem finding a judicial internship on the west coast. Apparently he had the job after one phone interview. The job was no cookie-cutter position either - he was writing trial memos, writing minute entry orders (i.e. writing the appropriate outcome on summary judgment motions FOR THE JUDGE), was able to sit on oral arguments, etc.

sounds like a pretty good school to me ...
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

waffles

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 07:48:29 PM »
Did anyone go to the dinner for merit scholars on Thursday?  I visited GW in January and couldn't make another trip.
Accepted: GULC, GW, BC, UM, Duke
Still waiting: Columbia

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 10:05:01 PM »
Did anyone go to the dinner for merit scholars on Thursday?  I visited GW in January and couldn't make another trip.

Yeah but you honestly didn't miss too much though...it was just a dinner with some speeches thrown in.
Georgetown 2009!

Khannon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2006, 12:26:02 AM »
Ok I need some feedback to this question:

How national is the GWU name?  Specifically how does it compare vis a vis Notre Dame's national reputation?  I am from the West Coast, but I quite frankly don't know where I will end up after law school.  I want to keep my options open.

Thanks for the help.

FenwaySteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 12:45:20 AM »
Notre Dame has greater national recognition simply because it has its football games on every weekend and everyone knows it as the premiere religious school....atleast thats my take.

as to the education u get at either school, tossup. think location, etc.
165/3.34 (3.68 after first year's 2.7)

GW it is!

Khannon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2006, 01:00:45 AM »
Notre Dame has greater national recognition simply because it has its football games on every weekend and everyone knows it as the premiere religious school....atleast thats my take.

as to the education u get at either school, tossup. think location, etc.

I figured as much.  I love ND (been here 4 years), but I also love DC.  I am basically trying to determine which would be best in regards to career opportunities generally around the country.

chillindave

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2006, 01:43:46 AM »
I was there, really wasn't all that blown away.  The school is solid and DC is fun, there's really nothing wrong with it.  But nothing struck me that made me think, I really want to go here.  Also their lack of financial aid is nauseating.  I'm prob off to sunny California instead, or midwest if I decide to get cheap last minute.  Nothing about GW made me justify the 180-200K of debt I'd have to go into there. 

FenwaySteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2006, 06:36:29 AM »
To TheGunner...who are ya? I'm sure I'd remember you if I saw a pic or heard the name, but I don't remember who told me their screenname there. Sorry bout that :-).

I have some pics up of GW Law if anyone wants to see them:

http://members17.clubphoto.com/steve825605/guest-1.phtml

It's the top left album obviously, and I know people will take a look at the others so enjoy those too lol.
165/3.34 (3.68 after first year's 2.7)

GW it is!