Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!  (Read 11562 times)

mikeredd

• View Profile
Re: George Washington Preview Weekend Reviews!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »
They talked about tuition. An estimate cost for one year is like $54,800 or something. The tuition alone jumped from 34K to 36K from last year. Then they talked about the different loans you can take. I didn't really pay attention towards the end b/c it was kind of boring.

The bad part was that they said if you haven't received something in the mail by now, then you won't be getting any financial help from GW, merit or need-based. They said GW takes different things into account and basically they don't give out much help.

I guess the session was depressing b/c they confirmed that GW is going to cost 2 arms and 2 legs. 

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
FREE BEER EVERY THURSDAY
i thought that was awesome

i loved it.. loved DC , loved the school loved the students.  didnt love the fact its gonna cost me over 160,000 for 3 years.  i did not love it enough to justify spending 80K more to go there over BU, which is comparably ranked.
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

PFKing15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
I was there all day Friday and from 11am till 3pm on Saturday.

I went in to the whole thing not sure what to expect, and I came out of it ready to mail in my check -I even bought a GW Law Sweatshirt!

Of course DC is a big draw, but what really sold me were the students and faculty. Everyone in my group agreed that the students at GW seemed happier than their couterparts at other law schools.

One girl I know mentioned that she thought the professors at GW were particuarly nice to students during lectures, as compared to the ones at Penn.

While it's true that GW may not have a "real"campus with a giant quad and rolling hills, I know that in order to get one I'd have to trade-off the excitment and thrill of living in the city. Now that I'm in my 20's, the way I see it, now is the time to live in a city where all the action is --you can study at the law library, and then go to one of the thousands of bars/clubs, see a show at the Kennedy Center, visit one of many INCREDIBLE musuems, or in case you still haven't had enough law there are always the Supreme Court and Congressional proceedings to check in on. Plus, if you do need to see some wide open spaces, just drive 30 minutes in to Southern Maryland, the Eastern Shore, or even the mountains of Virginia... trust me, it's very rural.

I actually felt like the facilities were really pretty nice -I mean it may not have been all marble and shimmering gold trim, but I felt like the classrooms were totally comparable to the Huntsman Building here at Penn, which is where the Wharton School of Business is based. They've got a ton of computers, wireless internet, and everything has just been recently referbished. While the quad was small, that's more grass than most city dwellers could ever hope for -plus how great is it that the only quad at GW is outside the Law School! It's like we get the royal treatment!

The neighborhood was actually nice -coming from West Philly- and while it may not have felt like you were "on campus" it did feel more like a campus than many other city schools. While it's my understanding that Foggy Bottom gets pretty quiet at night, I found out that it is only a short way to more lively neighborhoods of DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, and Georgetown.

GW seems like an awesome place to spend three years, especially if you want to be close to where all the legal action is going down -- it is abundantely clear that if you're  considering working in Washington, you must consider GW.

I'll be there in the fall, hope to see everyone else there too!

-DZ

PS: If you wana talk about GW more, shoot me an IM on AIM at PFKing15
In: GW, USC, Miami (24k), Villanova, Temple, American, Brooklyn, Santa Clara, Loyola,
Out: Michigan, Georgetown, UVA, Columbia, BC,  Boalt, UCLA   
Waitlisted: Fordham, Penn, W&L
No Word: Duke, Hastings

FenwaySteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »
Hey, I just got back and I definitely have to say it calmed a lot of fears about law school as well as showed me how respectable GW Law is in the grand scheme of things.

I was very pleased with how much effort the students seemingly put into the whole weekend. It wasn't just the professors or the deans telling us the truth about studying, courseloads, job opportunities, etc. It was also the students in closed-door meetings with the Pre-L's and answering any and all questions we threw at them. They showed up to give us a view of the student groups, the competitiveness, the lifestyles and others. About 5-10 percent of the whole law school seemingly came out to give their opinions, help and advice. This was a very good vibe I got from the school.

The area specifically around the school seemed a bit dead. It took a long time to walk anywhere with a barscene I felt, and it just seemed a little disconnected from active life. However, this may be to the benefit of a student like myself who likes going out and would really like to buckle down and do really well in his classes in 1L. If it takes more effort to go out, you do it less and enjoy it more perhaps.

Living in the area seemed alright, they showed us two apartment buildings that werent that bad. The Columbia Plaza had enormous rooms, and was 3 blocks from the Metro, about 6 from the Law school. the statesman was also nice, much closer to the law school it seemed, like 2 or 3 blocks away, not even.

the rest of the Pre-L's seemed very intelligent, all open to conversation and interesting. THere was a large mix of those coming right out of college and out of work/grad school, which I guess is to be expected.

The buildings itself are sufficient for the size of the school. if you think of 1600 students approximately, then the size of my high school seems about right. The library was quite large, on multiple floors and with lots of hidden areas to study and close yourself off from the world. Everything in the building seemed quite refined. Conference rooms, classrooms and others all seemed like they were brand new and the whole building seemed fresh and energetic.

It is in a prime location id say for government internships and other such jobs. Overall, I have to say it's a great school, and its getting greater. I don't really understand why people would come away with anything besides more respect and a desire to go there. Money certainly plays a role, and if anyone was in the financial aid meeting that I asked the first question in, you'll see how insane the money problems are with nearly every perspective student.

165/3.34 (3.68 after first year's 2.7)

GW it is!

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »

I left before the finaid session. Could you give me a rundown of what they said?

Ok...the financial aid session was rather interesting. I have been to a few of these things now, and the woman from GW who sat in the corner was the most direct and blunt out of all them (this could either be good or bad depending on your point of view). Basically, it seemed like the school was not overly helpful in terms of aid, and that if you have any assets currently, they are going to take them. The vast majority of students are going to need to take out commercial loans to cover a pretty big portion of the cost. Also, it was ironic how the 2 apt buildings they showed us cost more than the amount that they allocate for housing expenses as part of your "budget." It seems like given the way housing is in DC, they would increase that part of the budget. Some of the questions were taken up by people asking things specific to their situation - particularly amusing was the girl who asked if they would facto in her trust fund.

Speaking of those 2 apt buildings that we went to on saturday, I was NOT impressed. The statesmen was a little better than columbia plaza, but I was really not impressed with either building. The only thing they have going for them was their proximity to the law school (not even that close in CP's case). And they were pretty pricey...if you paid that same price in arlington, you could be in a much nicer building. When we were looking at one of columbia plaza's rooms, everyone was making jokes about being in eastern europe because of all the bland concrete buildings facing each other. Given all the great and lively areas in DC, those buildings would not be my first choice.

As for the rest of the program, they had the best food out of the various preview weekends (much better than georgetown's). I thought the "discussion" with the 2 profs on friday was pretty pointless. It would have been better if they had actually had a debate instead of just presenting one side of the argument. I thought the students there were really enthusiastic and they seemed like they genuinly liked the school (instead of being forced to say nice things about it). The location is urban, yes, but is actually alot better than gtown law's location. Because of where it is, they can combine facilities with the undergrad campus...for example the place we ate lunch was an undergrad building, and the law students use the GW gym (which is really nice, we checked it out).

If anyone who didnt go has any other questions, just ask 'em on here.
Georgetown 2009!

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
Hm, note to self: Self, do not post reviews after going home to a bar.

Half of my review got deleted (the second half after I talk about the three things I didn't like where I talk about all the things I love), so the "Sign me up!" sounds pretty sarcastic.  Not true -- I definitely am much closer to going to GW after the weekend.

Here are some of the take-home messages from the weekend:
The financial aid session: "It's expensive, you'll have lots of debt, but we're worth it.  Get your parents to quit claiming you on their taxes immediately... you can't have it both ways and be 'independent' while mom and dad are claiming you as dependent."

Tour: My tour guide had chosen GW over Georgetown and never looked back.  The law faculty offices are interspersed throughout the buildings, so they're more accessible.  Building more "student union"-type space for law school kids.  Plus two points for the Jamba Juice on campus. 

Lunch: We will feed you your choice of salmon and chicken in wine sauce and creme brulee every day that you're here! (At least that's what I'm hoping...)

They held a lecture (I thought it showed that they were willing to grapple controversial questions and sold the faculty and "hallway curriculum" of GW rather than being pointless), mock classes and faculty panel that were reassuring: the faculty LIKES to teach and wants to help you get a job.  Just don't ask them "Is this going to be on the exam?" :)

Also, it made a big difference to me that a lot of current students put so much effort into the weekend... they had a student organizations fair, had an SBA reception, a bar night with a private room, and a LOT of student involvement in the weekend.

I sincerely liked it and really am thinking of going to school there.
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 07:20:15 PM »

Tour: My tour guide had chosen GW over Georgetown and never looked back.  The law faculty offices are interspersed throughout the buildings, so they're more accessible.  Building more "student union"-type space for law school kids.  Plus two points for the Jamba Juice on campus. 

Damn, I wish i had that tour guide...what were your tour guide's reasons for going to GW ?
Georgetown 2009!

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 07:22:29 PM »

Damn, I wish i had that tour guide...what were your tour guide's reasons for going to GW ?

no joke... my tour guide was awful.  :-\
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 07:44:37 PM »
Georgetown Law is not on the campus of Georgetown and it is in the ghetto.

She said that she didn't feel safe walking around there at noon, so she sure didn't want to be there at night.  She also liked the atmosphere with the other students -- competitive, but not at the expense of their relationships with each other.  Incidentally, she's only 20 (21 in two weeks) so she's chances are she's very intelligent...

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
Ghetto is relative, I suppose.  But if girls are saying "They have a shuttle for a reason -- people don't feel safe" then it does sort of give you pause...

Not that Georgetown is on my list of choices anyway, but I'm just repeating what she said for folks that were interested.  She seemed to emphasize the collaborative nature at GW versus the ruthless competition between students at Georgetown, but if anybody else in my tour group wants to share ...