Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How can a NORMAL canaidan get into Harvard  (Read 2710 times)

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
How can a NORMAL canaidan get into Harvard
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:59:31 PM »
What I mean by "normal" is that I'm not a world-ranked athlete nor a famous musician, ect. I'm just a normal person
I'm not in university yet. but just wondering, What stats, EC should some normal persons like me have in order to get into Harvard?

farouk

• View Profile
Re: How can a NORMAL canaidan get into Harvard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »
75th percentiles for GPA (3.94: with A+ as 4.33, A as 4, and -A as 3.67) and LSAT (175) will do it for sure, you have a strong chance at the medians (look it up), and less of a chance lower down (unless you're an under-represented minority). 

Pick a challenging, but interesting, major. 

ECs are for fags. 

Be a waiter or a bartender so you can have fun before you start one of the dullest professions on earth. 

Beyond that, don't be a retard in your personal statement.  That is all.

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:14:05 PM »
Thanks farouk.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 08:37:19 PM »
Does Harvard admit NORMAL people, not unless by normal you mean 3.75 gpa + 170 LSAT. 
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
Does Harvard admit NORMAL people, not unless by normal you mean 3.75 gpa + 170 LSAT. 
that could be normal. you are not a big star if you have a 3.75gpa +170 LSAT. obviously, quite a few people have that, but not a lot of people can have their own recital or being selected to the national teams.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:02:26 AM »
What I mean by "normal" is that I'm not a world-ranked athlete nor a famous musician, ect. I'm just a normal person
I'm not in university yet. but just wondering, What stats, EC should some normal persons like me have in order to get into Harvard?

175 LSAT or higher
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »
Do you guys think a 3.94 (post LSDAS conversion) is given the same weight between American schools and Canadian schools? At Harvard UG, for example, I recall that at one time 50% of students had 4.0 averages upon graduation. At my school (Queen's) most of my classes have averages in the low 60's range, and only about 5-10% of students are in the A/A+ range. Despite those differences, I sometimes worry that Harvard, or other highly ranked law schools, will look down on my GPA.

My opinion, which is completely based off uneducated assumptions ;), is that if you have a high GPA from a Canadian school you need to do exceptionally well on the LSAT to show that your GPA is accurately reflects your intelligence. Any thoughts?

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:37:01 AM »
Do you guys think a 3.94 (post LSDAS conversion) is given the same weight between American schools and Canadian schools? At Harvard UG, for example, I recall that at one time 50% of students had 4.0 averages upon graduation. At my school (Queen's) most of my classes have averages in the low 60's range, and only about 5-10% of students are in the A/A+ range. Despite those differences, I sometimes worry that Harvard, or other highly ranked law schools, will look down on my GPA.

My opinion, which is completely based off uneducated assumptions ;), is that if you have a high GPA from a Canadian school you need to do exceptionally well on the LSAT to show that your GPA is accurately reflects your intelligence. Any thoughts?

I think you only need to do as well as an American student with the same GPA. If anything, you are at an advantage, because schools know that it's harder for canadian students to get high grades
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:25:48 AM »
but don't they convert Canadian GPA differently anyway? that way, we can have more 4.0s

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 03:04:09 PM »
Are there any NORMAL canadians.  Every Canadians I've seen has flapping heads.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?