Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT student schedules?  (Read 885 times)

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
PT student schedules?
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:19:17 PM »
For part-time students who work during the day: when do you schedule most of your reading and studying? Do you find time before work or after classes? Or were the weekends sufficient? I want to have a little free time on the weekends, so I'm already trying to figure out the optimal schedule. I'd love to hear how others did it.
Georgetown

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PT student schedules?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »
You can probably forget about having much free time on the weekends unless you like to stay up very late at night during the week.

For me, I would try and do most of my work for the upcoming week on the weekend. I was never good at coming home after class and doing much of anything (except sitting in front of the TV to unwind a bit before bed). I tried to read cases during lunch at work (and brief them as much as possible then, too), and do the rest of my work on the weekends. Your legal writing course should keep you pretty busy first year, so you should expect to have to do a lot of research and writing papers. That, itself, kept me the most busy. It wasn't uncommon to start working on a paper on Friday evening and still be up until around 1am or so on Sunday night finishing it up (then still re-reading and editing during work the next day before class). I would try and take some time off on weekend afternoons to spend with my family, but I ended up sitting in front of the computer for a good number of hours during the days, too.

Good luck.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:07:07 PM »
Thanks. That's very helpful, especially because one of the three schools I'm considering requires FOUR semesters of legal writing.
Georgetown

Isutrackstar

• AOL Instant Messenger - tashathehooper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:11:43 PM »
Are teachers understanding for evening students that most people probably donít go home and do a lot of studying after class? In other words, will they assign assignments that cant be done during the weekends often ? How much time do you usually have to do your assignments ?

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Are teachers understanding for evening students that most people probably donít go home and do a lot of studying after class? In other words, will they assign assignments that cant be done during the weekends often ? How much time do you usually have to do your assignments ?

I'm not sure what you mean by teachers being understanding? Most of them could care less if you work zero hours a week, or 100. You need to find a way to get the work done.

As for "assignments," your substantive courses (outside of legal writing) shouldn't really have assignments in the traditional sense. You will be responsible for reading whichever cases are due that day. Some professors may have a requirement that you brief the case to turn it in, but I think that is pretty rare. Most just want you to have read it and be ready to answer questions about it. How you prepare for class is up to you.

As for legal writing, I would think that you could do most of the work on the weekends. At least for my class, we generally had 1.5 - 2 weeks to get something written. The worst part is that it may involve book research at the library (my school required us to learn to use the books before we got access to Lexis and WestLaw). That's kind of a pain if you commute.