Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk,Beacon Hill,where to live in Boston????  (Read 1000 times)

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Suffolk,Beacon Hill,where to live in Boston????
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »
I am considering attending Suffolk Law this fall. What are some good areas to live in?Any advice on the area would be greatly appreciated. I am from Chicago and know little about Boston, I have been told that Suffolk is located in "beacon hill". What are some good websites to check out for the area?

NUBri

• View Profile
Re: Suffolk,Beacon Hill,where to live in Boston????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »
Beacon Hill is a real nice area but it is very expensive, like many areas of Boston.  If you use craigs list you may be able to find a sublet with a good deal though.  I went to Northeastern and the area around there and around Prudential is very nice.
UConn Law

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:02:27 AM »
Cambridge or Somerville near the red line wouldn't be a bad commute. Beacon Hill is both lovely and  VERY expensive and it would be very hard to keep a car there.

Superman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:54:46 PM »
Not sure exactly where suffolk is, but I'm from Boston and I know the Allston-Brighton area is great.  It's a younger crowd, lot's of nightlife, and pretty much everyone who lives there is a student (I know BC Law people that live there).  It's right on the T (Boston's subway) and is like a 5-10 minute drive from downtown.  Check out craiglist. 

Goldeneyed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:23:10 PM »
I live in Allston-Brighton, it's okay. Beacon Hill is amazing. It is like living on Nantcuket in the city...but no beach. Anyway, that aside, considering your T-ride in from Allston on the green line, you might as well live in Cambridge/Somerville and commute on the red line. More options.

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 09:26:01 AM »
I'd definitely say consider Central Square in Cambridge or Porter/Davis for a cheaper option.  Harvard is too crazy and expensive.

Suffolk is on the Red Line (Park Street T stop), and you can get there from each of the T stops I mentioned in anywhere from 10 (Central) - 25 minutes (Porter/Davis) with no transfer.

I've lived in Cambridge for 5 years (Central for 4) and have loved it.  Housing is cheap relative to Boston.

BTW, the Green Line, especially the B, sucks.  So slow and always crowded.  Allston/Brighton are cheap areas to live in, but a bit more run down.  Consider Cambridge.  The Red Line is the best in Boston, I'd say.
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
I'd definitely say consider Central Square in Cambridge or Porter/Davis for a cheaper option.  Harvard is too crazy and expensive.

I always assumed that, but I'm currently in the market for an apartment anyplace from Davis to Central on the red line, and I haven't found a significant price difference between any of those areas.

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »
One thing to consider is that if you are willing to live a 5-10 minute walk from the T rather than right at the stop, it may help with rent.  Though it's true, Cambridge is becoming more and more gentrified, so prices are starting to shoot up.  Lots of biotech companies are moving into the Central/Kendall area...

BTW, it's gorgeous today here in Boston.  Hope it is wherever you guys are as well!

Congrats Su on your great acceptances, and Starbuck/BSG is awesome!
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 06:32:32 PM »
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »
If I am looking to live with a friend from college who is going to BU, and if I attend Suffolk....what would be a good central location that is nice? These are the places I was thinking, but have no idea what the commute would be to each school.
1.Beacon Hill
2.Back Bay.
3.North End
4.Allston
5.Brookline
* I would really like to be downtown and close to my potential school, but I do not want to ignore the quality of her time in bean town. Any input would be greatly appreciated.