Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU 2L taking Questions  (Read 661 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BU 2L taking Questions
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »

Lazy Saturday. Fire away.

D.

• View Profile
Re: BU 2L taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 01:43:31 PM »
Why BU over BC?  How competitive was 1L? 

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »

Every time I post on this board, the first question is a comparison about BU and BC. I didn't get into BC (wait list) so I really cant attest to their program. I know they have a tremendous reputation in Boston and firms compare them with T-14s rather than BU, but other than that, I think the schools are pretty much the same. You dont have to do as well at BC than BU to get biglaw, but that may change as BU continues to be ahead in the rankings. I personally think our undergrad hurts the law school reputeation. But the real difference is just in location. BU = urban while BC = suburban. If you like buildings and urban lifestyle, BU is the proper choice. If you like greenery and wide open spaces, BC is probably your choice. But again, I can't really attest to the quality of their program becuase I did not go there.

1L year was competitive, but not crazy. Students at BU aren't really your crazy "I hate my competition" types. There were a few random incidents of stolen bags and random fights, but for the most part, people get along and try not to consider each other competition. There are a few bad apples every year though.

D.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
How did you do?  What kind of summer job do you have lined up?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
How did you do?  What kind of summer job do you have lined up?

I did okay, but not great. I was around the 1/3-2/3 threshold during my 1L year. I got a job through OCI at a midsized Boston firm that I begin this summer.

D.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 02:03:06 PM »
How is the social life?  Where do most students live?  Is it in a skyscraper?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »
How is the social life?  Where do most students live?  Is it in a skyscraper?

The social life is actually pretty good. There are a few cliques that go out on the weekends. (we're a pretty cliquey school)(I also just realized I have no idea how to spell clique). 

Most students live in the Bright/allston/fenway area. There is no need to have a car, as the Tower is right on the B line. The tower is pretty herendous and the library is as bad as people often say, but I am never really on campus, so I never cared. BU isnt like a school you go to to be apart of a community. Most students are really just on campus for meetings and classes and then go home or to a coffee shop to study. I have a few friends who study in the library, but it is dreadful in there so I study at home usually.

Milhouse

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 03:30:43 PM »
How much do studios or 1-bedroom apts cost around the area?  What's the median GPA set at for most 1L classes?  Thanks!

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:22:17 PM »

Studios = 1200/mo. 1 Bed Rooms are slightly more, around 1400/mo. These prices vary though. The further out of boston you go, the cheaper the rents become.

The median GPA for most 1L classes is a B, which i think is pretty customary for schools ranked in the 15-35 range.