Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Should I go here, or there?":What is your criterion for selecting a Law School?  (Read 1812 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
How fast the schools issue decisions.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

D.

• View Profile

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
Law Schools in California (particularly Stanford and UC-Berkley) and schools in NYC (Columbia Law, and the nearby Yale LS and HLS).  They are all great schools with similar tuition costs.  I wouldn't mind living in New York City or California.  I can't decide on a criterion to filter my list.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
YLS is not meaningfully near NYC. At least not enough to be considered an NYC school. The only sense in which YLS is really "close" to NYC is that you can use the JFK/LGA airports for more convenient flights than Hartford has.

HLS is way far from NYC. Try 4 hours...
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
1)Quality of program (gauged by faculty research interests, quality of faculty/reputations in respective fields, prestige of law review/journal)

2)School's reputation (are they national? or at least semi-national with very strong regional pull?)

3)Financial Aid (how much loved did you show me? Was I warm or did you leave me shaking in the cold?)

4) Location (is this someplace I'd willing to spend 3 years--maybe even start my legal career? what's the legal market like?)

5) Gut reading (how'd you treat me when I met you? when I've contacted you? or when I visited your school) *This was the tie-breaker in my case b/t school who were pretty much equal on every other front: Both BigTen, etc, etc.

Hope this helps someone :)

This is how I am going to select my law school as well. I think it combines everything you need to succeed in law school and in real life. I am also looking at the student body and law school environment, but I guess this may fall under quality of program.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
If you are starting UG this fall, don't worry about it, don't stress.  Enjoy your time at UG, do well, and score high on the LSAT.  Besides, in four years you might decide you don't even want law school, so why fret now?
HLS '09

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
If you are starting UG this fall, don't worry about it, don't stress.  Enjoy your time at UG, do well, and score high on the LSAT.  Besides, in four years you might decide you don't even want law school, so why fret now?

Credited.  Chill. Elsewhere.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
1. rankings and all that they entail... they do matter, but they're certainly not the end all be all
2. location... podunk, boring cities are definitely a turn off
3. programs of study offered, clinics, opportunities
4. student body - i still want to have fun and enjoy myself
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
for me, it's all going to come down to a gut feeling.  my gut tells me that i want to work in chicago, seattle, or cleveland.  if i get off the notre dame waitlist, i'll gladly go into as much debt as it takes. i have never even been to these cities.  it's all gut.  my family wants me to stay in the area, but i'm going to trust my gut on this one. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1. location
2. general feel when visiting
3. good career prospects
4. cost