Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Should I go here, or there?":What is your criterion for selecting a Law School?  (Read 1806 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
There are a handful of top notch law schools:  Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn., N.Y.U., Georgetown, etc; but, there is only of one us.  We can't go to all of the aforementioned law schools.

What are your criterion for selecting a Law School?  Law is fiercely competitive; every path we take shapes our future.  Do rankings play a role; financial aid (etc)?

P.S.  How does one maximize their potential for receiving the biggest package from top law schools?  I am beginning UG this fall, so I am all ears.  I am financially disadvantaged, and I'm seeking every possible way to obtain the most money for a top notch education.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Location (this was my first filter based on a handful of states), flexibility of program, availability of various classes, reputation, and cost. I'd say these were the big ones for me.
UT 1L

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
So depending on where you plan on practicing you would go to the highest ranked Law Firm in that area?  Or was it based on preferred weather conditions and the vicinity to large cities?

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1. Prestige
2. Location
3. Cost

TNlawguy

• View Profile
1)Quality of program (gauged by faculty research interests, quality of faculty/reputations in respective fields, prestige of law review/journal)

2)School's reputation (are they national? or at least semi-national with very strong regional pull?)

3)Financial Aid (how much loved did you show me? Was I warm or did you leave me shaking in the cold?)

4) Location (is this someplace I'd willing to spend 3 years--maybe even start my legal career? what's the legal market like?)

5) Gut reading (how'd you treat me when I met you? when I've contacted you? or when I visited your school) *This was the tie-breaker in my case b/t school who were pretty much equal on every other front: Both BigTen, etc, etc.

Hope this helps someone :)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
For moi, its all about the weather.

Its 50 here right now in Tampa, and I am FREEZING!!!

I can only look at schools in Fl,Tx,Ca,or Az.

after that, im still deciding whats most important.

Probably babes and job opps.

In that order   ;D
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

cyberrev

1.  show me the money!

2.  how i've been treated throughout the application process.

3.  is it someplace i can see myself living/practicing after graduation

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
1.  show me the money!

1. Sure--though the usual caveats about prestige and job opportunities apply.

2. this is a poor criterion, in my opinion. The admissions department are hopefully different people than faculty, and there are a number of reasons admissions could suck that don't imply any problems for you once you get in--like if it's a problem with personnel at any level lower than the president.

cyberrev

1.  show me the money!

1. Sure--though the usual caveats about prestige and job opportunities apply.

2. this is a poor criterion, in my opinion. The admissions department are hopefully different people than faculty, and there are a number of reasons admissions could suck that don't imply any problems for you once you get in--like if it's a problem with personnel at any level lower than the president.

since most of my schools are fairly equal in 'prestige' then this is an important factor to me.  may not  be for others, and thats quite alright

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Depts on all levels matter to an extent imo.  If they arent very good, then it reflects poorly on the school and a quality school, I think, should address such a problem.  Certianly, there are prolly more pertinent things for a school to deal with, but if its a notable problem, then it will hurt the school esp something like admissions.

Anyways, here are my main determinants:

The prestige/ranking, but definately coupled with location, since Im not competitive at the top 20 or so.

If theyre relatively even after that point, cost and academics come into play.

Next tie-breaker is how I felt when i visited the schools and how the faculty at the school treated me and the feeling given off from the students there, but also job opportunities (but job prospects were pretty solid from all of the school I applied so this is consequently low on the factors already).

I have a small list of available options at the moment, so its pretty inconsequential what i think about the schools i applied and more along the lines of if they admitted me.