Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The SATs Changed; will the LSATs change?  (Read 1055 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
The SATs Changed; will the LSATs change?
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:12:56 AM »
I am entering UG this fall.  Do you think it makes sense to begin preparing for the LSATs now; or is it likely that the test-makers will redesign the test as they did with the SATs.  Have they ever done that before?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: The SATs Changed; will the LSATs change?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 05:52:04 AM »
lsat last changed in 1991.  at that time, it had lipo.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 09:34:53 AM »
lsat last changed in 1991.  at that time, it had lipo.

silly julie, trix are for kids
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

lsatflunkie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 10:50:52 AM »
incorrect- the last lsat change was the writing sample addition of the argument prompt...which in my opinion was a great addition and a much better way to measure one's success in law school.
I believe that modification was December, 2005.

IamtheLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »
The additional writing sample was added before June 2005. The LSAC considers each "admissions cycle" of tests to be from June of any given year to February of the next year. They never change anything drastic in the middle of this cycle.

For example, if they don't start scoring the writing sections June 2006, then it's going to be postponed til June 2007.

HTH.

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 01:55:37 PM »
Despite a possible modification to the LSAT, is it a waste of time to beginning preparing early?

D.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »
Despite a possible modification to the LSAT, is it a waste of time to beginning preparing early?

Dude you have to chill.  Just enjoy senior year and bang some hottie after prom.

Go to college, enjoy yourself and study hard for your classes, then come back to LSD around your junior year and begin preparing for the LSAT.

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
  • This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
The additional writing sample was added before June 2005. The LSAC considers each "admissions cycle" of tests to be from June of any given year to February of the next year. They never change anything drastic in the middle of this cycle.

For example, if they don't start scoring the writing sections June 2006, then it's going to be postponed til June 2007.

HTH.

I dont think they'll be scoring the writing in June.  When you sign up for the LSAT it lists all of the "terms" basically saying what is scored, what isnt.  You can sign up for june and it says nothing about having a scored writing section, which leads me to believe that it most likely wont be scored.
In ^_^= UConn, UCLA, Temple, Quinnipiac
Out, el oh el= BC, Georgetown, Michigan

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »
Our October testing last year was the first one to have thsoe new essay formats.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

IamtheLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

I dont think they'll be scoring the writing in June.  When you sign up for the LSAT it lists all of the "terms" basically saying what is scored, what isnt.  You can sign up for june and it says nothing about having a scored writing section, which leads me to believe that it most likely wont be scored.
[/quote]

I had this same opinion, until I inquired further about when the LSAC disclosed that the June 2005 LSAT would have the additional writing sample. It turned out LSAC made this decision public in mid-march, after many had already signed up for it. So, I dont think having signed up already necessarily means that the writing section wont be scored. That being said, March is basically over, and I doubt they would wait too much later to disclose something as important as that, so the writing section being scored this year is fairly unlikely.
HTH