Law School Discussion

No scholarship from LS at my UG institution

No scholarship from LS at my UG institution
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
So, I could be a bit high and mighty here....but I was a little upset that I didn't get at least a little scholarship money from the same school where I got my undergrad.  It's a high T2 school, and I would go there in a second if there was any money available.  I received a solid 3.5 GPA in the school's marquee major.  My LSAT was in the top 25% which I thought would put me in line for a few bucks.  I'm proud of my undergrad diploma, but if the school itself doesn't deem it noteworthy, then why should I, or anyone else for that matter.  I'm not saying they need to fall all over themselves to get me there, but it seems other schools value my background more then the place that helped give me that background.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  It's only hitting home now as I prepare to send out my withdrawal letters.  Am I nuts???

Jaustin

• I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: No scholarship from LS at my UG institution
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:07:08 PM »
I have seen this kind of thing before.  My sister graduated first in her class and got waitlisted at her Undergrad.  Sometimes they are just weird.

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:37:11 AM »
Most Law Schools, with the exception of Harvard Law, Georgetown Law, and a few others, prefer to have academically diverse students (students from DIFFERENT UG institutions).  I did a little bit of research of NYU Law School.  I looked at in-depth statistics that indicate a large portion of students entering Year One at NYU from schools across the country, with a small chunk of students from NYU UG.  Yes, this is only one example; but I do know, for a fact, that some schools prefer to have their own advance to their graduate schools (such as, and ESPECIALLY, Harvard) whereas, most prefer to have fresh students so they can re-teach them everything in Law School.

I suppose financial aid also applies as a method of discouragement, and trying to squeeze out more money from the students--win:win situation for the LS.  They get a diverse body of students, or more money from local students.  Universities these days run like a business, not as an educational institution.  I believe the University of Chicago is one of the few schools that go against the grain and place a huge emphasis on learning, not money.

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:41:18 AM »
Scholarships are all about the lsat. Where you went to ugrad is relatviely unimportant.