Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chinese? are we minority?  (Read 2249 times)

Deus Ex Machina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Magnus frater spectat te
    • View Profile
    • Take the Roger Water's Cynicism test!
Re: Chinese? are we minority?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:32:53 PM »
Just a cursory search unveiled this U.C study which has been summarized as follows,

"If students are admitted to the University of California based on statewide demographics, tens of thousands of Asian-American students will have to be turned away. Statewide, 2.8 percent of black high school graduates and 3.8 percent of Hispanics are eligible for UC, compared to 12.7 percent of whites and 30 percent of Asian-Americans.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/compreview/0308_meeting/Data_release_summary_FINAL_Mar_8_20041_with_data.pdf

Now if you are unlucky enough to be lumped into the same group as the rest your fellow Asian-Americans many of whom may have had a much easier time financially et al. Now you know what it's like to be shoved in with a group of other whites when you grew up in a trailer park and they grew up in Greenich "freakin" Conn.
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos were lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards.'-T.Pratchett

AaronRCheng

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »
"My cat's breath smells like cat food"
Loyola it is... and damn happy about it

Shady Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 11:35:53 PM »
I think this is a tougher question than it sounds, especially based on the previous responses. For one thing, LSAC and law schools don't really care if you are Chinese, when they ask you to tick that box. The category is Asian/Pacific Islander, and that complicates matters. Yes, Asians are one of the biggest minorities in North America. But any given nationality within that would not be, and Asian nationalities are VERY distinct. Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, etc. in Asia would not view themselves as a group that could be lumped together as they are here. That said, perhaps the grouping of Asian/Pacific Islander is fair considering that admissions committees are attempting to look for the treatment of a particular group, and if Asians are perceived as "all the same" (all have black hair, yellow skin, slanty eyes), then Asians may be discriminated against (or gain advantage) all the same, despite different nationalities.

Also, I looked for the stats on LSAT scores, but couldn't find them. But I think last time I saw the stats I was suprised to find that Asian/Pacific Islanders did NOT perform better than the white or undisclosed population. Can anyone find these stats?
Eyes on the prize. And it ain't BIGLAW.

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
we don't all have slanty eyes. I think they are ugly ;D

Shady Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:12:42 AM »
It's so true. I know so many non-Asian's with slantier eyes. Shhhh... don't burst their bubble.
Eyes on the prize. And it ain't BIGLAW.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »
The reason that Asians don't perform better on the LSAT is probably because large portion of Asians are immigrants, and English is their 2nd language.