Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chinese? are we minority?  (Read 2223 times)

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
Chinese? are we minority?
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:17:40 PM »
I'm new here. just in case you think this topic is too stupid

cayberr

Re: Chinese? are we minority?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »
Minority? Yes.  Underrepresented minority (URM) for law school?  No.  (edited to say, usually no, but can depend on the school).

societatmalehabitus

• Sr. Citizen
  • what am I supposed to do with all my good ideas?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 11:06:51 PM »
Should be a total global count.  Then Hell no
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."

societatmalehabitus

• Sr. Citizen
  • what am I supposed to do with all my good ideas?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 05:52:45 AM »
But as the model minority they'll never perform as you have suggested!  I'm asking the serious question of should we or should we not make that judgement based on world total population?  If not now, then give it 15 years and ask this question again...oh, wait it'll already be asked.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »
on a global sccale, nobody is minority except native people.

TopGunna

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not easy being TTT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »
But as the model minority they'll never perform as you have suggested!  I'm asking the serious question of should we or should we not make that judgement based on world total population?  If not now, then give it 15 years and ask this question again...oh, wait it'll already be asked.

Model minority?  Lol, that's pretty classist and an ignorant statement and I will only address it with a question; Why do you believe that asians are the "model minority?"  Who gave them this title?  You may choose to ignore this question if you do not have an answer.
WAITING IS A female dog!  3 weeks :(

Deus Ex Machina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Magnus frater spectat te
    • View Profile
    • Take the Roger Water's Cynicism test!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:46:05 AM »
If Asians are URMs then Jewish people need a leg up in show business. (I'm part Jewish where is my big break huh huh?)
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos were lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards.'-T.Pratchett

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »

Model minority?  Lol, that's pretty classist and an ignorant statement and I will only address it with a question; Why do you believe that asians are the "model minority?"  Who gave them this title?  You may choose to ignore this question if you do not have an answer.

Most asians dont like the model minority label, actually.  From my understanding, it's created by whites to use against other minorities, specifically URMS (asians do fine, why cant you) and to brush off any concerns brought up by asians in this country (racism? asians make plenty of money, what racism).

TopGunna

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not easy being TTT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 02:59:21 PM »

Most asians dont like the model minority label, actually.  From my understanding, it's created by whites to use against other minorities, specifically URMS (asians do fine, why cant you) and to brush off any concerns brought up by asians in this country (racism? asians make plenty of money, what racism).

Obviously, those white people have never been to southern CA. :-D.  This nation is so quick to forget the Asian internment camps too, is this something Asians have forgotten too?
WAITING IS A female dog!  3 weeks :(

Deus Ex Machina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Magnus frater spectat te
    • View Profile
    • Take the Roger Water's Cynicism test!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »

Obviously, those white people have never been to southern CA. :-D.  This nation is so quick to forget the Asian internment camps too, is this something Asians have forgotten too?

I havn't forgotten in point of fact I know a lil more than you do

http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/itintern.htm

...Where is the German and Italian American reparation money and URM status?
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos were lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards.'-T.Pratchett