Law School Discussion

GWB says knowing what he knows today he still would have went to war

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
despite the absence of WMD... is this assenine or what?  what would have been his platform for going to war had it not bee for the wmd? the fact that he went to yale speaks poorly for their school and its nepotistic policies

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: GWB says knowing what he knows today he still would have went to war
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:55:37 AM »
He wouldn't exactly admit he was wrong, would he?  Of course, I am sure he doesn't believe he was wrong, but still.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »
He has no credibility in this statement.  I don't think more than a handful of people would believe he would tell us if he did change his mind.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:55:10 PM »
can you imagine what his argument would have soundedlike?  sadam is evil and iraq presents a threat even though they dont have weapons.  what an ass

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 01:47:28 PM »
edit

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:13:36 PM »
following that logic, we would be at war untill every country was turned into a democracy. we are NOT the police of the world. we have neither the mandate nor the resources.  why should our young adults die for this?  i see no justification even if the WMD exist

WULaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 02:21:40 PM »
Let's be clear about one thing:  John Kerry will be eager to get us into war as soon as he takes office.  Don't forget the wars Clinton got us into that we had no business getting involved in.  The attack on Serbia is one.  Don't forget, Clinton bombed the frickin Chinese embassy in Belgrade!

Yes, these were smaller entaglements, but did cost American lives.  Republicrats have to understand that we cannot solve all of the worlds injustices. 

Bman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 02:31:42 PM »
I'm in no mood to get into a highly charged debate about the war in Iraq. I have work to get done and I spent half of yesterday arguing about affirmative action. But even knowing everything we know today, I still believe that the war was just and I would have supported it (though the case is considerably  weaker in the absence of WMD). Not to be too preachy but blunts, if you want to do well in law school, you have to learn to respect the other side of an argument even if you disagree with it. Almost half of this country, along with the platform for the party that controls the white house and both houses of congress, believes with what we know now, that it was NOT a mistake to go to war with Iraq. If you can't appreciate or respect the other side in debates of such momentous importance, than your argument suffers considerably.

Bman

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
"He has no credibility in this statement.  I don't think more than a handful of people would believe he would tell us if he did change his mind."

Jeffjoe, do you honestly believe that he should say the war was a mistake even if he believes it was? We have 140,000 troops in Iraq. Were the President to say that he believes now that the war was a mistake, it would accomplish nothing. We would still face the difficult choice of leaving troops there or withdrawing them and see Iraq descend into violent anarchy. Making such a declaration would destroy the morale of our soldiers, it would make our allies even more likely to withdraw, and it would send a signal to Iraqis that we aren't committed to helping them build a stable government. There's a reason why even the Democratic platform assidously avoids saying directly that the war was a mistake. It would be totally irresponsible.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »
when you get to law school, bman, you will learn what the necessary requirements are for using force in self defense.  first the threat must be percieved as imminent and immediate and considered reasonable by the finder of fact.  you must respond with proportional force and have no duty to retreat.  a country that has no weapons is not a reasonably imediate threat although maybe an imminent threat.  we set a very dangerous precedent for the other worldpowers now and in the future....what if north korea attacks south korea under the same doctrine as the bush premption doctrine, will you support them?  probably unless you are a hypocrite