Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does the school you are going to attend have an OWLS organization?  (Read 1925 times)

rhythmbomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does the school you are going to attend have an OWLS organization?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 07:34:55 AM »
I found out recently that Wisconsin actually still has a version of the OWLS called "Students and families" or something.  I think that name kinda keeps those non-trads w/out kids or who are single out of the group.  I am gonna work on it.

I'm totally down.  I'm 37, but would have more in common with the youngsters than people with families. 
In: Penn St, UIUC, Kentucky, Pitt, Wisconsin, Arizona, Chapman, Wake Forest, Richmond, USD, Iowa

Waited: IU-B, Minnesota, UNC
Rejected: Virginia, Boalt, W&L, Wash-StL, W&M

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rhythmbomb

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
I know what you mean rhythm- from what I hear some schools just have the married and/or w/family organizations (as does the school I'm probably looking at), so there really isn't anything for people who are a bit older and single. In fact, from what I understood even the married w/out children may feel a bit out of place in ND's organization because it seemed very geared to people with kids.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
yeah...I am going to find out more about UW's organization.  The fact that the current president has children may have something to do with the current inclination toward those with children. 

guyminuslife

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:30:51 AM »
No, it's Ordinary Wizarding Levels. At the end of your second year of law school, you take them to see which fields you are accredited in as a magical lawyer. You will also be eligible to clerk for the Wizengamut.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
Nice!

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 12:27:13 PM »
I hope my school has a chapter, if not I will def. start one. I think it is an awesome idea especialy for those law schools that share a campus with UG.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

guyminuslife

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »
OWLS aren't really that important unless you need a certain score to get accepted into NEWT-level classes. If you're applying for a job at the Ministry of Magic they generally don't even look at your OWLS scores---usually they consider how well you did in your sixth and seventh years to be more "representative" of your abilities. It's really on the low end of the scale that they pay more attention to them: if you don't do well on your NEWTS then you can sometimes fall back on them, but that doesn't really cut it if you're trying to get into the better postseconday programs.

/sorry, I had to

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »
OWLS aren't really that important unless you need a certain score to get accepted into NEWT-level classes. If you're applying for a job at the Ministry of Magic they generally don't even look at your OWLS scores---usually they consider how well you did in your sixth and seventh years to be more "representative" of your abilities. It's really on the low end of the scale that they pay more attention to them: if you don't do well on your NEWTS then you can sometimes fall back on them, but that doesn't really cut it if you're trying to get into the better postseconday programs.

/sorry, I had to

:D :D :D
That's hilarious.
SLS 2010

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »
no, i think OWLS stands for "Oh Why did i f-ing go to Law School"
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

fredm04

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »

My school had an OWLS group that disbanded my 1L year.  Frankly, I didn't miss it.  I never felt left out or in need of additional support as an older student.  As well, it was easy enough to meet the older students in my classes.

Fred
HLS 2008