Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop help!  (Read 1011 times)

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
Re: Laptop help!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
I see "under 6 lbs." and see "a brick of lead."  I'm only about the "under 4 lbs." group.

Unforutantely, the lighter computers tend to be more money.  Not to mention, their keyboards tend to be narrower, no?  I have long fingers, and I feel cramped on small keyboards.
yes that is one thing.  my girlfriends aunt has a 710 M - 12.1 inch screen - and it is a nice, lightweight computer.  but the keyboard is very small.  even with narrow fingers you will mis-hit keys and such.  if you want small but not to small, maybe something with a 14 inch screen will be better for you than a 12 or 15.  as for me, i would rather spend the money on extras like speed, performance, and programs than size, but hten again i dont have money to throw around like some people do.  even though the computer for me will be included in my loan package, i would rather spend 1300 of the 2500 allocated for a computer, and spen the rest on anything - food, clothing, a present for my girlfriend, gas money - anything that is needed.  i will be going with somehing under 1500 but that has performance. 

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »
Does anyone know common it is to bring a laptop to class?  Don't people just take notes on paper anymore?  I just graduated college (large state university) in December and noone brought a laptop to class.  What is the point of bringing a computer to class with you?

flydog

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 05:04:10 PM »
I see "under 6 lbs." and see "a brick of lead."  I'm only about the "under 4 lbs." group.

Unforutantely, the lighter computers tend to be more money.  Not to mention, their keyboards tend to be narrower, no?  I have long fingers, and I feel cramped on small keyboards.
yes that is one thing.  my girlfriends aunt has a 710 M - 12.1 inch screen - and it is a nice, lightweight computer.  but the keyboard is very small.  even with narrow fingers you will mis-hit keys and such.  if you want small but not to small, maybe something with a 14 inch screen will be better for you than a 12 or 15.  as for me, i would rather spend the money on extras like speed, performance, and programs than size, but hten again i dont have money to throw around like some people do.  even though the computer for me will be included in my loan package, i would rather spend 1300 of the 2500 allocated for a computer, and spen the rest on anything - food, clothing, a present for my girlfriend, gas money - anything that is needed.  i will be going with somehing under 1500 but that has performance. 

Lots of people complain about the 710m keyboard. Thats because they usually try one at the store or a friends's for a few minutes. Once you use it for a few hours you will adjust to it and it will be like any other keyboard. Its just a question of your fingers learning the keys especially the smaller period and question mark

A 14" screen will usually add about 2 lbs to a notebook and cut down the battery time about an hour

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 05:06:07 PM »

In light on your username, your post has some unintended irony to it. That said, if you feel you NEED that extra performance then go ahead and make your purchase based on that assumption. What I and others have said is simply this: The needs on a law school student are well served by the power available in ultraportable laptops.

Yes, you pay a price premium for the form factor but you know what? There IS something to be said for light weight. Most of these products, the X41 tablet included, are just plain built better than some of the "less expensive" and better performing (yet heavier) laptops mentioned in this and other threads.

If you absolutely need something to take to that next LAN party then man, I understand. Otherwise, I do not see how faster automatically equals "better."

My Humble opinion.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »
I just got the thinkpad T43 and I'm liking it so far.