Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop help!  (Read 983 times)

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Laptop help!
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:36:26 PM »
My school "highly recommends" the IBM/Lenova Thinkpad R52, but i've heard bad things recently from two friends.  My school says other brands will be a problem cuz they can't necessarily fix them...

Anyone know anything about this particular laptop...should i get the R40 instead?

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »
The real question is: what kind of money are you willing to spend on the laptop?  Frankly, I wouldn't touch the R series (just the weight would be killer...figure 6 pounds plus another pound for other incidentals like AC adapter, etc).  Even buddies of mine with the T series complain it's a little heavy for carrying everywhere on a daily basis.

You can always buy a warranty that includes on-site repair and covers accidental damage.  Then you don't even need to worry about receiving support from the school's dipshit IT people.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:46:09 AM »
See:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,48872.0.html

and

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,55482.0.html

Yes, and if you don't feel like reading through all that, a good rule of thumb is to buy as small and powerful a laptop as you are comfortable with, both ergonomically and financially.

LSD saved my life.

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:10:14 AM »
After talking to a few people and reading I've decided I simply cannot go with the thinkpad r52.  I did a bunch of research, and read reviews and have decided to buy the Dell XPS M140.  The keyboard is a decent size (I have long fingers), but it's considerably light (under 6 pounds).  Has everything I want...once I added everything I needed it turns out it will be $1,266...exactly what my thinkpad would have costed me...but this machine is ten times better.  Reviews everywhere rave about this notebook.  I will also have to add the 3 year warranty though with on site help (since my law school has stated it may not be able to help non IBM users with their computers).  Thanks for the info everyone!

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
Dude - you bought a DELL!!!!

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »
Right now I am looking at the M710. However, the M140 is also good you say? Hmmm maybe I should check that out.

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »
i have always been a fan of the HP laptops. i have configured one online : HP Pavilion dv1000 Notebook PC

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M 380 (1.60 GHz)
FREE Upgrade to 14.0" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - Celeron
1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support (backing up files is a must, need at the least a cdr - even if there is a flash drive - 2 is always better than one)
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG WLAN
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (computers are plugged in during class so its not an issue, sohuld get about 1:45 unplugged)
Microsoft(R) Works/Money (already have office 2003 software)
hpshopping in-box envelope
 $1,024.99 
3-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Express Repair Extended Service Plan for HP Pavilion and Presario Notebook PCs
U4821A     $349.99 

the total is 1374 plus tax.  it weighs 5.4 pounds, maybe a bit much, but they dont get much lighter than 4 - 4.5

something to also think about is microsoft onenote.  i saw it on the efollett site for 49.99 (retail 99-199) as long as you can prove you are a student (ID # or something).  this lets you create tabs for each class/project/etc. on the top of the screen.  In each tab, you can then set tabs upon the side of the screen for notes, projects, research, etc.  this allows you to have notes for all classes at your disposal in a second.  it is truely a good program that will make life easier.

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
see the computer threads above for OneNote thoughs.

Also, i can name at least three laptops that are under 3 lbs.  the difference in three lbs of weight carried all day isn't trivial.

can you please, i would be very interested, even the dell 710 M is 4.1 lbs to start

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »
the X1 from dell, the R200 from Toshiba, and Sony Viao Tx.

There are others.  I recommend doing organized searches on http://www.cnet.com and http://www.notebookreview.com.  Both of those sites should help.  Also, see other review threads.  Oingo has some great things to say about the X41 tablet, which I am also very interested in, and it weighs only 3.5 lbs.

dell x1 - so to go down a pound and a half, you would be willing to get a lower quality computer with less memory, a slower speed, and  a smaller hard drive?
And to pay more for it?

r200 - once again more money for an inferior, but lighter computer, with a slower processor and less memory

Sont tx - while its weight starts at 2.76 (bare bones) it also has a very slow processor and less memory all the while starting at about $2100. 

if the weight is that bad for someone, that 1.5 pounds are worth $1000 to over $2000, then go ahead, maybe my senses are jus a bit warped.

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
I see "under 6 lbs." and see "a brick of lead."  I'm only about the "under 4 lbs." group.

Unforutantely, the lighter computers tend to be more money.  Not to mention, their keyboards tend to be narrower, no?  I have long fingers, and I feel cramped on small keyboards.