Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)  (Read 2730 times)

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
i can't believe people's reaction on this topic- the OP only got the scholarship because of his race- no other reason.  with those numbers a non-urm would be very lucky to even get in.  he knows it, and so does everyone else, yet people jump all over someone who said it.
i know it might not be as big a boost to your self-esteem to think that the color of your skin got you the dough instead of your being a "super awesome, interesting person."  similarly, any money i got from schools was due to my lsat score, not my being a "super wonderful guy."  i've got no problem admitting why i got my scholarship monies and neither should the op or his defenders.

This again.  ::)

So maybe it wasn't because I'm a "super awesome, interesting person".  Maybe it's because I'm a highly accomplished academic who comes from a background where there are precious few of those.  I didn't say or imply that my race had nothing to do with it, you moron.  I fully admitted it.  More than once, even.  I am certain that my accomplishments are weighed against my race.  My point was that above and beyond race and LSAT/GPA (both of which are easily explained), my accomplishments dwarfs that of most other applicants.  Law schools are looking for people who will do their school credit both during and after law school.  Occasionally that means they have to look beyond those two all-powerful numbers and seriously take factos into account that distinguish an applicant as outstanding.

And no one was jumping down cannotpick's throat because he stated something obvious.  The point is that his observation was both highly irrelevant and contained a certain amount of inexplicable repellant bitterness.  Go back and read all my posts, publish an article or two, then win a couple of grants. Or just kindly STFU.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 11:09:23 AM »
nothing against you paddywack, but your ad hominem attacks (ie. you moron) reflect an underlying insecurity.  if you are an accomplished academic (and i'm not doubting that you are), you should stick to your ideas instead of resorting to namecalling.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Why does it have to be an indicator of insecurity?  Maybe I'm just losing patience and I genuinely think the guy is a moron.  If my tone bothers you and you want me to be nice, why not just say so?  A lame tactic like attacking my mental/emtional state hoping that it'll serve to indirectly bring me down a notch is only likely to provoke further insults.  Dumbass.

Please see previous page for rebuttal to everything kingofspain said...prior to his post, I might add.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »
A lame tactic like attacking my mental/emtional state hoping that it'll serve to indirectly bring me down a notch is only likely to provoke further insults.  Dumbass.

Way to illustrate my point. 

You lack subtlely.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »
the fact of the matter is, although it may comfort you to think that your amazing academic acheivements got you your scholarship $$, everyone knows, including you, that if a white person with the same exact credentials applied to cardozo, he almost certainly would have been rejected and never would've received a full-ride.  read anna ivey's book, she admits that when she was in admissions, urm's who would've have been rejected if they were white would get scholarship $$ thrown at them.   
i dont see why you're so defensive- this is the way the admissions process goes- you still get a free ride, so enjoy it.  however, don't pretend you got it for any reason other than your race.

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »
This is not a knock at the OP but more of a general statement, and could possibly go under a new thread.  But...

I think you may be overshooting your psychology (I think that's where you wrote your thesis) accomplishments.  I mean, in the grand scheme of things, who really cares about your research.  What psychologist, professor, or researcher is really going to take into serious consideration what a college undergraduate wrote.  Meaningful research is done by PHD's who spend years to complete their thesis, and it is much more comprehensive than what an Undergrad could have written.

Furthermore, I doubt that the research you preformed was very groundbreaking.  If it was on a subject that is/was very important then I'm sure there are many professors out there who have dedicated their lives to the subject.  And even if there isn't anything out there, don't you think that among the THOUSANDS of PHD candidates each year, one person would have stumbled upon this subject to use for their doctoral dissertation and are probably working on it as we speak.  I mean they are the ones who are supposed to be working on new groundbreaking things.

I guess I just feel that a lot of people place too much value on certain things that they did as an undergraduate.  In the grand scheme of things, most of the time the stuff they do is very insignificant.  I.e. undergraduate research, stupid things they do for clubs that "better" the community.  If you look at it from an outrider point of view, does what you did really make a difference, probably not (of course there are the exceptions, please don't get me wrong).  I think that it is pretty pointless to write a thesis unless you plan on going on to do some graduate work, and only for the purpose of gaining practice on how to do a major research paper.  Too many people believe they are going to do something groundbreaking when that clearly is not the case.  And if you do write one, please donít act like it was something truly amazing; come on now (Iím sure there are plenty of people who do write a thesis but understand itís not world changing).

But, OP, having a thesis published, while insignificant in the grand scheme of things, does set you apart from other applicants (I didn't write one), and certainly does make you a better applicant and would help you out in admissions.  (I'm sure you had other awesome stuff as well).

By the way, why didn't you go into the field of psychology and get a PHD if you were such an outstanding student (seriously)?  Perhaps one day your research would, in fact, be quite meaningful.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 08:07:38 PM »
This is not a knock at the OP but more of a general statement, and could possibly go under a new thread.  But...

I think you may be overshooting your psychology (I think that's where you wrote your thesis) accomplishments.  I mean, in the grand scheme of things, who really cares about your research.  What psychologist, professor, or researcher is really going to take into serious consideration what a college undergraduate wrote.  Meaningful research is done by PHD's who spend years to complete their thesis, and it is much more comprehensive than what an Undergrad could have written.

Furthermore, I doubt that the research you preformed was very groundbreaking.  If it was on a subject that is/was very important then I'm sure there are many professors out there who have dedicated their lives to the subject.  And even if there isn't anything out there, don't you think that among the THOUSANDS of PHD candidates each year, one person would have stumbled upon this subject to use for their doctoral dissertation and are probably working on it as we speak.  I mean they are the ones who are supposed to be working on new groundbreaking things.

I guess I just feel that a lot of people place too much value on certain things that they did as an undergraduate.  In the grand scheme of things, most of the time the stuff they do is very insignificant.  I.e. undergraduate research, stupid things they do for clubs that "better" the community.  If you look at it from an outrider point of view, does what you did really make a difference, probably not (of course there are the exceptions, please don't get me wrong).  I think that it is pretty pointless to write a thesis unless you plan on going on to do some graduate work, and only for the purpose of gaining practice on how to do a major research paper.  Too many people believe they are going to do something groundbreaking when that clearly is not the case.  And if you do write one, please donít act like it was something truly amazing; come on now (Iím sure there are plenty of people who do write a thesis but understand itís not world changing).

But, OP, having a thesis published, while insignificant in the grand scheme of things, does set you apart from other applicants (I didn't write one), and certainly does make you a better applicant and would help you out in admissions.  (I'm sure you had other awesome stuff as well).

By the way, why didn't you go into the field of psychology and get a PHD if you were such an outstanding student (seriously)?  Perhaps one day your research would, in fact, be quite meaningful.

Look up The Strawman Fallacy, then get back to me.  Or preferably, not.

The subject of my thesis has never been done before.  Ever.  I laid the groundwork for ongoing research being done by a very well-regarded professor and his graduate students.  When it's finally done, it'll be used by future researchers for decades.

I'm done with this thread.  Everyone here is spewing sh*t like they know something, both about me and what goes on in the minds of the admissions council.  Since I've made my decision, or rather my decision was effectively made for me, I have no more use for anything anyone has to say in this regard, even if what you're all saying was in any way relevant.

Just ask youselves this very simple question.  How many people with my numbers, URM or otherwise, get the kind of dough they throw at me?  By your reasoning, most, if not all black candidates with a 158/3.4 should be getting full rides to Cardozo, St John's, Rutgers, Seton Hall and NYLS.  Figure that's the case?  If you still feel like you have anything meaningful to say, read my post at the bottom of page two, then reconsider.

On the plus side, if you guys are my competetion, I'm feeling better and better at my chances of being in the top 10%.

"See you chumps on top."

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »

The subject of my thesis has never been done before.  Ever.  I laid the groundwork for ongoing research being done by a very well-regarded professor and his graduate students.  When it's finally done, it'll be used by future researchers for decades.

I'm sure that's not true, but whatever.

I didn't personally attack you, NOR say anything about you getting in/getting a scholarship because you are a URM, I just said I doubted that your, or anyone's, undergraduate research is that groundbreaking.  I don't feel like looking up this Strawman Fallacy, but I assume it was from undergraduate research.  Fine, but that is ONE EXAMPLE OUT OF ONE MILLION.  Let's just be realistic. 

I like how you were quick to attack back at me even though I didn't doubt your abilities, perhaps the others are correct and you are a bit self concious.  I also like your "see you at the top" comment, real classy, but also somewhat typical/expected from you.

And why aren't you going to grad school for psych??? If you are so amazing at the subject then you should most certainly be pursuing that for a career and continuing your amazing research.  Wouldn't you undergrad/professor to be hounding you for you amazing psychological skills.  Surely they would not let the best protege within the next twenty years just slip between their fingers (afterall, noone else has done such amazing ground breaking research like yourself).

Perrin79

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »
Not sure how helpful this is, but as an FYI I met a lawyer at Dechert (big firm) in Boston recently who had gone to Rutgers LS, although it may have been Camden.  So, there's definitely out-of-area options for Rutgers (i'm sure Cardozo, as well).  They're both good schools.

dgdsfsfsfs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006, 09:50:10 PM »
What are your numbers?

Heh.  3.4/158.

I know what you're thinking, but I have a lot of other factors to back those up.

These are pretty suck-ass numbers, excuse my honesty!

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »
so you were able to produce "ground-breaking" research in psychology which will change the field forever, but you couldn't get better than a 158 on the lsat?
i also believe most 3.4/158 would get full rides at rutgers, especially if they had several offers they could bargain with.
just face it- your skin color earned your $$$, you didn't get it because you're special.