Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)  (Read 2672 times)

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 01:25:55 AM »
"the bitter ignorami on an internet messageboard"...cute.

The relevancy exists in the fact that other people who read this threat get their heads filled with false hope. As a result, people may apply to too many reaches and no safeties with the mistaken belief that a 158 can get you a scholarship. It's worth pointing these things out rather than letting them go unsaid. I never said he shouldn't go to Dozo. Just that when talking about scholarships & his LSAT/GPA, he should be candid. Personally, I could give 2 craps about where he goes. I'm just chiming in on something that was made explicit in this thread.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 01:40:32 AM »

The relevancy exists in the fact that other people who read this threat get their heads filled with false hope. As a result, people may apply to too many reaches and no safeties with the mistaken belief that a 158 can get you a scholarship. It's worth pointing these things out rather than letting them go unsaid. I never said he shouldn't go to Dozo. Just that when talking about scholarships & his LSAT/GPA, he should be candid. Personally, I could give 2 craps about where he goes. I'm just chiming in on something that was made explicit in this thread.

See, the purpose of this thread clearly was not to provide some educational precedent for future applicants, it was meant specifically to provide the original poster with some insight that would help him/her make a difficult decision.  It's pretty absurd that you'd even try to insinuate that that whole tangential conversation stemmed from some sort of altruistic motive.

The OP did NOT talk about LSAT/GPA, that was a needless question asked by another poster.  When it was answered, you responded that someone with those numbers must either be an URM or have "invented the polio vaccine".  Thus leading to an antagonistic discussion, which answered none of the OP's intended questions:

"Which one will give me the best options?  Which has a better national name?  Can anyone offer any insight?"

And yes, you've already made it clear that you don't give "2 craps about where he goes".  And that is my point: that you're useless.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 01:50:58 AM »

See, the purpose of this thread clearly was not to provide some educational precedent for future applicants, it was meant specifically to provide the original poster with some insight that would help him/her make a difficult decision.  It's pretty absurd that you'd even try to insinuate that that whole tangential conversation stemmed from some sort of altruistic motive.

The OP did NOT talk about LSAT/GPA, that was a needless question asked by another poster.  When it was answered, you responded that someone with those numbers must either be an URM or have "invented the polio vaccine".  Thus leading to an antagonistic discussion, which answered none of the OP's intended questions:

"Which one will give me the best options?  Which has a better national name?  Can anyone offer any insight?"

And yes, you've already made it clear that you don't give "2 craps about where he goes".  And that is my point: that you're useless.

Haha. Ok, I promise this is my last response, but this is just too much fun to turn down the chance to reply once more. I don't care what you deem to be the purpose of the thread. He asked a question. If the discussion goes elsewhere, so be it. If the OP's original question is never answered, that's no skin off my back. You're not a moderator &, quite frankly, your opinion in what 'a thread is supposed to be' is laughable.

Call me useless, but I see things in the bigger picture. This pompous, arrogant poster matters less than someone that could, in good faith, misapply this information to his own life. People can ask his GPA/ LSAT (presumably to see what it would take them to get that kind of $$) & I can respond when he only gives 1/2 the story as to where that scholarship came from. He's resentful of my claims, but he's never tried to show any of them to be wrong. He just resorted to calling me a racist. People that can't dissect logical arguments don't do well in law school. Let's see how well the 'Oh yeh, well you're a hater' argument works on a Cardozo (or Rutgers!) exam.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 02:01:38 AM »
Haha. Ok, I promise this is my last response, but this is just too much fun to turn down the chance to reply once more. I don't care what you deem to be the purpose of the thread. He asked a question. If the discussion goes elsewhere, so be it. If the OP's original question is never answered, that's no skin off my back. You're not a moderator &, quite frankly, your opinion in what 'a thread is supposed to be' is laughable.

Call me useless, but I see things in the bigger picture. This pompous, arrogant poster matters less than someone that could, in good faith, misapply this information to his own life. People can ask his GPA/ LSAT (presumably to see what it would take them to get that kind of $$) & I can respond when he only gives 1/2 the story as to where that scholarship came from. He's resentful of my claims, but he's never tried to show any of them to be wrong. He just resorted to calling me a racist. People that can't dissect logical arguments don't do well in law school. Let's see how well the 'Oh yeh, well you're a hater' argument works on a Cardozo (or Rutgers!) exam.

Basically you just jumped on the thread because you saw the opportunity to belittle someone for no good reason. You are correct in that the OP's URM status almost certainly played a part in his/her offers.  But not only is that completely irrelevant, you make your point in a completely antagonistic manner.  Despite what you think, you weren't of any help to anyone at all.  But I suppose you can feel better about yourself, having put some stranger down just for being in a fortunate position and appealing to people for insight.  I wouldn't call you a racist, but you've certainly been a d-bag.  And you're also chock full of shite.  And that's pretty much that.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 03:06:03 AM »
Basically you just jumped on the thread because you saw the opportunity to belittle someone for no good reason. You are correct in that the OP's URM status almost certainly played a part in his/her offers.  But not only is that completely irrelevant, you make your point in a completely antagonistic manner.  Despite what you think, you weren't of any help to anyone at all.  But I suppose you can feel better about yourself, having put some stranger down just for being in a fortunate position and appealing to people for insight.  I wouldn't call you a racist, but you've certainly been a d-bag.  And you're also chock full of shite.  And that's pretty much that.

Wait, let me get this straight... suspecting that the poster received the scholarship because of his URM status and not his low numbers is correct, but also belittling?  You're agreeing with that other commenter that this is a causal factor in the scholarship status... does that mean that you too are belittling the OP?

Because my point is simply that if you read the original post, there is absolutely no reason for this discussion to even exist.  And for that reason, I'm through here.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:49 AM »
Basically you just jumped on the thread because you saw the opportunity to belittle someone for no good reason. You are correct in that the OP's URM status almost certainly played a part in his/her offers.  But not only is that completely irrelevant, you make your point in a completely antagonistic manner.  Despite what you think, you weren't of any help to anyone at all.  But I suppose you can feel better about yourself, having put some stranger down just for being in a fortunate position and appealing to people for insight.  I wouldn't call you a racist, but you've certainly been a d-bag.  And you're also chock full of shite.  And that's pretty much that.

Wait, let me get this straight... suspecting that the poster received the scholarship because of his URM status and not his low numbers is correct, but also belittling?  You're agreeing with that other commenter that this is a causal factor in the scholarship status... does that mean that you too are belittling the OP?

Because my point is simply that if you read the original post, there is absolutely no reason for this discussion to even exist.  And for that reason, I'm through here.

Thank you!  I logged in just now with the intention of basically saying the same things you have.

I logged onto this board and created this thread with the singular hope of possibly gaining some insight into a difficult, albiet enviable decision.  Some people answered the questions I asked, some didn't.  Someone asked my numbers, as people are wont to do on this site.  I didn't object, though I grudgingly gave it WITH the acknowledgement that this is not typical (i.e. "I know what you're thinking, but I have other factors to back these numbers up).  Some bitter a-hole decided that I didn't derserve what I got.  The assertion was made, in a most derogatory and dismissive way, that not only was I a URM, but that this is the direct cause of my scholarships.  Despite the fact that that point was utterly irrelevant to my post, no one even waited for me to comment on what those "other factors" might be.  For all intents and purposes, the matter was settled.

Did I call the person who said this a racist?  No, but I certainly didn't pretend to overlook the attitude that was so obviously reflected in that post.  I'd go out on a limb and say that he didn't get any where near the money I got.  Hence, "hater".

Look, I know that being black and applying to law school gives me an advantage.  And, you know, I'm ok with that.  I started two steps behind nearly everyone else I know so a rare leg up is appreciated.  I understand how this can irk some people.  But I also know that even a cursory glance at my file will tell anyone on an admissions council that I stand head and shoulders above most students.  When I emailed Rutgers asking them to match an offer the admissions officer commentted that she "remembers my file very well.  (I) am star of the psych department".  Presumably, whatever factor, or combination of factors, rather, that prompted her to make this flattering comment, is also what prompted Cardozo, as well as every other school I applied to, to step up and make sure that they are doing all they can to secure a decision from me that is in their favor.

Would I expect a white male to get into Cardozo with a 158/3.4 with nothing else on his application?  I'd be surprised.  But I'd also be surprised if he had an identical file as I do and still didn't get in.  I would in fact be mildly surprised if he wasn't offered some kind of small scholarship.  Likewise, I would not be surprised if a minority got into Cardozo with nothing else except a 158/3.4.  But I would certainly be surprised if they gave him a full ride.  Point is, I know that being black plays a factor, but I, as well as you, don't know how much of a factor is played with me.  So the best thing to do would have been to STFU and leave it alone.  But you didn't, and now I'm writing this.

I just want to reiterate jayscoot's observation that all of this is not remotely germane to the original point of this post.  But a bitter idiot brought it to this point and other idiots sided with him/her, and since I'm the OP, I feel as if it behooves me to address it.  I hope this adequately states my position and that we can either move on from this idiotic tangent or let the thread die with some dignity.

When dealing with people like cannotpick, I draw strength from the words of The Prophet Kanye West; "there'll always be haters, that's the way it is.  Hater n-word marry hater b*tches and have hater kids."  Just gotta deal with it.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 09:25:46 AM »
I'm reading other threads and I don't understand how people can say that if you don't finish in the top 20% at Cardozo your options are bleak.  According to their employment numbers, nearly everyone finds a job within 6-9 months and the salary ranges are pretty good.

Also, if I go to Cardozo that means I'm stuck in the NYC area, whereas if I go to Rutgers I'm stuck in NJ somewhere, right?  Do either schools have a decent national rep?

sbr224

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
Sticking to the original topic:

My research isn't exhaustive but from what I can tell, going to dozo limits you to NYC, going to Rutgers, you are set in NJ and while you won't have the same edge that you would if you went to dozo, you still have a solid amount of options in NY. I would assume that Rutgers being essentially the top school in NJ in terms of rep, you would have more options nationally, while Dozo is 3rd at best in nyc...

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 10:03:15 AM »
Sticking to the original topic:

My research isn't exhaustive but from what I can tell, going to dozo limits you to NYC, going to Rutgers, you are set in NJ and while you won't have the same edge that you would if you went to dozo, you still have a solid amount of options in NY. I would assume that Rutgers being essentially the top school in NJ in terms of rep, you would have more options nationally, while Dozo is 3rd at best in nyc...

Thanks!  This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Just got an email from Rutgers.  They're offering me full tuition + fees + $450/week stipend for the first two years.  :o  It's still not a exactly no-brainer, but I think they just made my mind up for me.   ;D

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 10:21:42 AM »
i can't believe people's reaction on this topic- the OP only got the scholarship because of his race- no other reason.  with those numbers a non-urm would be very lucky to even get in.  he knows it, and so does everyone else, yet people jump all over someone who said it.
i know it might not be as big a boost to your self-esteem to think that the color of your skin got you the dough instead of your being a "super awesome, interesting person."  similarly, any money i got from schools was due to my lsat score, not my being a "super wonderful guy."  i've got no problem admitting why i got my scholarship monies and neither should the op or his defenders.