Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)  (Read 2648 times)

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)
« on: March 23, 2006, 05:26:20 PM »
Man, I'm just not getting anywhere with this decision, so I'll throw it out there for anyone that might have something to say.

I originally wanted to go to Rutgers-Newark.  There were reasons for this, but let's just suffice it to say that they don't apply as strongly as they once did.  The fact that they gave me 40% tuition was pretty attractive, though, and nearly sealed the deal.  The other day, I called up St John's to female dog them out about not sending me any information at all.  The nice lady on the phone informed me that I was accepted with a full scholarship.  I forgave them their tardy response.

That same day, I emailed RU-N and told them about my scholarship.  I basically said that I want to go to RU, but I can't let a full scholarship slide.  They told me to hold off for a week.  I'm being considered for a scholarship that covers full tuition (for 2 years) plus a 15K stipend.  The woman called me "a star of the psych dept".  So it's looking good there.

So Cardozo didn't give me a dime, so I sent an email to the dean telling him to withdraw my application.  Hold on there, partner, the dean says.  Don't you want to see your financial aid offer first.  Sure, why not.  They offer me 15K in scholarships and 6K is school loans (private).  Just for the hell of it, I respond with "is that the best you can do?"  Apparantly it wasn't.  They gave me a full ride, half of which is contingent on a 3.3 GPA.

Seton Hall has recently jumped into the frey with 17,500 in merit money, and they're hinting at more if I say "yes".  But they're out.  I'm really just curious to see how much they give me.

So in my mind, it's down to Cardozo and Rutgers.  St John's money comes with no strings attached, but I would rather risk it with Cardozo.  Trouble is, I don't know where I  want to be after LS.  I'm wondering if Cardozo will limit me to NYC, and if Rutgers will limit me to NJ.  Which one will give me the best options?  Suppose I want to move to, say, Boston after LS.  Which is the best choice?  Which has a better national name?  I know their respective rankings and that by itself is not enough.  Both schools have nearly identical employment stats.

They're killing me with options.  Can anyone offer any insight.

Fidelio

Re: Killing Me With Options...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:29:58 PM »
If you don't want congestion and super high rent go with Rutgers.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Me With Options...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:23:56 PM »
If you want to be in NYC go with Cardozo, if NJ go with Rutgers, neither school will get you good options in Beantown...
HLS '09

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers-Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:07:35 AM »
I should also note that in either case, I'll be living with my parents in Jersey City.

But thanks for the responses so far.

But I really am struggling with this decision.  I know Cardozo will hook me up with NYC, and Rutgers has NJ.  But, what about vice-versa?  How will I fare in NJ with a Cardozo degree or in NYC with a RU degree.  The thing is, I'm not sure where I want to live and I want to know which school will maximize my options.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers Newark (serious $$$$) or Cardozo ($$$$)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
Definitely go to Cardozo.  There are a lot more legal jobs in NYC than NJ, and plus NJ (near Jersey City) sucks. 

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »
What are your numbers?

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 08:49:54 PM »
What are your numbers?

Heh.  3.4/158.

I know what you're thinking, but I have a lot of other factors to back those up.

cheesesteak

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »
What are your numbers?

Heh.  3.4/158.

I know what you're thinking, but I have a lot of other factors to back those up.
What factors might those be?  You are below Cardozo's 25% or medians or whatever and you pull a full ride?

SamSpade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
What are your numbers?

Heh.  3.4/158.

What factors might those be?  You are below Cardozo's 25% or medians or whatever and you pull a full ride?

URM?
Attending BLS in Fall '06...

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:39:22 PM »
Yeh. Must be a URM. He wouldn't even get into Cardozo with those numbers unless he invented the polio vaccine.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...