?

10 (31.3%)
22 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: March 28, 2006, 01:32:32 PM

Null

Re: Help!! UNC or Wake Forest
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »
wow, after looking at your post, i can see even i bought into the hype and hoopla UNC ppl spout out about their school in regards to employment.

you can go to nalp.com to find some info on employers and such.  I suspect each school has salary stats on their respective websites.

mirror

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 08:02:05 PM »
This distorts the opinion of how strong their alumni base truly is bc nothing is unique about graduating from UNC; everyone in nc practically does.
...wow, after looking at your post, i can see even i bought into the hype and hoopla UNC ppl spout out about their school in regards to employment.

you can go to nalp.com to find some info on employers and such.  I suspect each school has salary stats on their respective websites.

you are really a dumbass arent you?  you cant just ignore the # of unc grads in nc, thats the primary reason their alumni base is better. 

why would wake have an elitist mentality over unc???  the vast majority of wake students got rejected by unc.

go to wakes own website www.law.wfu.edu if you have questions about the salary info.  hth

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 09:52:34 PM »
These debates are getting somewhat annoying. UNC is overall probly a better school, if one got into both and didnt get money from wake they shuld go to to UNC. Both are excellent schools. Neither will guarantee you a BIGLAW job. UNC is better if you want to go into NC politics. Wake has a very national list of recruiting firms at oci. Either will give you many options in NC.

mirror

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 05:36:29 AM »
I think the NC angle may be right.  Looking back at the statistics I chose to post a few posts ago both schools are equal as far as NC employment goes lumped together.  The step up UNC has is employment at FIRMS.  There they have measurable #s. 
However, with UNC's supposed superiority, Wake's higher employment rate, Wake's higher bar passage rate, Wake's lower unemployed seeking employment rate, and Wake's lower unemployed studying for bar rate make you wonder why they're so far behind in the rankings with such good #s.  Oh that's right, its because their avg acceptee #s are lower on avg than UNC (at least GPA wise) ... so logically that means they take people that are supposedly less smart than UNC takes and gives them a better overall education in order to account for the post-education #s.  Also, the reason UNC would have a higher avg starting salary is precisely because they have more graduates going straight into FIRM work.
This really wasn't the conclusion I thought I was going to come to upon the start of this thread but it is what I came to.  Anyone else have any more ideas?  (Also, vote if you haven't, right now only 12 people have voted and we're tied at 6).

wakes lsat #s are better than unc.  i dont have the rankings in front of me but logically it would seem that the difference is due to reputation, which plays a big part in hiring by large firms

magnumalv

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:10:40 AM »
Just to toss my .02 in here, but at UNC I feel like one of a huge, faceless crowd... whereas they already know who I am at Wake. I'll take genuine interest in the students over numbers any day.

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 07:32:43 AM »
im the dumbass somehow when the numbers are backing what i said up.  Ive accepted that it seems like UNC has the rep, but it doesnt seem to matter all that much.  They also have higher starting salary avgs too, but I think chapel hill and raleigh have higher cost of living than winston and gboro.

I did a check on the COL thing.  http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.asp
RDU v. Winston: cost of living at home- 13.4% cheaper in Winston
                typical salary at work- 1.2% lower sals in Winston
RDU v. Greensboro: cost of living at home- 10.8% cheaper in Gboro
                   typical salary at work- 1.4% lower in Gboro

Here's a link to Wake's employment stats (theyre based on 2003 grads):
http://www.law.wfu.edu/prebuilt/QuickFacts_Fall2004.pdf
Avg. sal was just over $60k and median in private practice was $70k
I couldnt find any info about starting sals on UNC's website, but according to PR its about $84k.  (Wake's is ca. $64k)  Based on this the starting sals lean favorably in UNC's favor.

And what good is an alumni base if they dont help you out?  Its pretty stupid to go somewhere where the alumni dont help you out.  Ive exp the help from my private school and ive heard similar things about Wake.  Ive never even heard of a door opening solely bc someone went to UNC.  Im from NC, so i know way more ppl who went to UNC and ive yet to hear such a story.  I know this isnt exactly a scientific study about how great the alumni base proves to be, but i still think its worth noting.

*funny how you never hear Wake ppl getting all shaken up about a slightly negative comment about them.  I dont see it outta Duke ppl much either.  But when it comes to one of those big state school, watch out... they get touchy.*

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 10:51:27 AM »
I'm just going to go ahead and throw out the advice I give everybody... Go wherever feels right for you.  The differences in rankings or cost aren't great enough that I can really recommend one over the other, and you need to just decide which one YOU want to go to.  Ultimately you're the one that has to live with your decision.

mirror

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »
im the dumbass somehow when the numbers are backing what i said up.  Ive accepted that it seems like UNC has the rep, but it doesnt seem to matter all that much.  They also have higher starting salary avgs too, but I think chapel hill and raleigh have higher cost of living than winston and gboro.

I did a check on the COL thing.  http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.asp

I couldnt find any info about starting sals on UNC's website, but according to PR its about $84k.  (Wake's is ca. $64k)  Based on this the starting sals lean favorably in UNC's favor.

And what good is an alumni base if they dont help you out?  Its pretty stupid to go somewhere where the alumni dont help you out.  Ive exp the help from my private school and ive heard similar things about Wake.  Ive never even heard of a door opening solely bc someone went to UNC.  Im from NC, so i know way more ppl who went to UNC and ive yet to hear such a story.  I know this isnt exactly a scientific study about how great the alumni base proves to be, but i still think its worth noting.

*funny how you never hear Wake ppl getting all shaken up about a slightly negative comment about them.  I dont see it outta Duke ppl much either.  But when it comes to one of those big state school, watch out... they get touchy.*

A) Why are you concerned about COL?  Thats only a factor for 3 yrs and its rare that wake is cheaper than unc.  And if you are, a unc grad has a better shot at a job in the piedmont for the rest of your life if youre concerned about col.

B)  Your anecdotal evidence is bs.  I know many people who have had doors opened by unc.  Moreover, the proof is not in what I claim or what you claim - its in the numbers.  UNC grads make a lot more on avg and most stay in nc.  what else would explain the disparity besides the alumni base?  Im somewhat shocked that you cant see that.  You acknowledge unc grads make more yet claim that alumni dont help out.  Who the hell is hiring these people over wake grads?  Its not duke or wake grads helping out the unc law grads.   

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 09:05:36 PM »

A) Why are you concerned about COL?  Thats only a factor for 3 yrs and its rare that wake is cheaper than unc.  And if you are, a unc grad has a better shot at a job in the piedmont for the rest of your life if youre concerned about col.

B)  Your anecdotal evidence is bs.  I know many people who have had doors opened by unc.  Moreover, the proof is not in what I claim or what you claim - its in the numbers.  UNC grads make a lot more on avg and most stay in nc.  what else would explain the disparity besides the alumni base?  Im somewhat shocked that you cant see that.  You acknowledge unc grads make more yet claim that alumni dont help out.  Who the hell is hiring these people over wake grads?  Its not duke or wake grads helping out the unc law grads.   

Not to mention his abysmal writing skills.  I hope those aren't the product of either a Wake or UNC education.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 03:18:01 PM »
damn, i wasnt able to impress discussion board members with my writing style.  I must be a disgrace to my ug.

Maybe i should ask for a refund bc my DB writing is so "absymal"

Personal attacks... yikes :o